Busking Jonathan Edwards -Sometimes

wrsomers

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Jonathan Edwards had some really great songs. This one was on his first album and has always been a favorite of mine. It is played in open D tuning (DADF#AD).

The 3 chords are: open D, E7 (played with strings 5 & 6 fretted at #2 and string 3 fretted at #1), and what I think is either F#m (or maybe some form of suspended E) played with strings 5 & 6 fretted at #4 and string 3 fretted at #3. The picking is just a standard travis pick using alternating bass on the 3 bass strings and random pinches and fills on the 3 treble strings.

You can capo it to fit your voice. I tune my guitar down a half step. For this song I capoed at the 3rd fret.

I hope you enjoy my rendition.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Smooth.

BobR

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Bill,

I enjoyed your rendition very much :)

Bob

familyman4

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:52 pm

I've never heard this song before, but you did a very nice job playing and singing it! Steady finger picking. What an odd tuning to play in but it sounded great.

Bart

michelew

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Bill,

That was another beautifully played and sung song. Gosh you're even coordinating your colors with the backdrop. Hmmm I really need to find a way to reduce the busy-ness of the background of my videos.

So was that you performing all the tracks? Was it just guitar and voice? I'm listening in my iPhone so I'm not sure I'm hearing it properly.

Beautiful rendition.

M

wrsomers

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi Michele,
Thank you. Yes, that was just me and my guitar, no other tracks.The backdrop was an experiment. I'm waiting for a green screen to come from ebay. I am going to try putting either pictures or videos behind me while I perform. Should be a lot of fun. Thanks for watching/commenting.

Thank you Daryl, Bob and Bart.

Bill

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:34 am

Well I'd love to hear more about your green screen experiment. I'll be looking out for the results.

Have you worked in the film industry? Or have you just studied up on what you need to do?

That will raise the bar on videos in a huge way.

Good for you.

M

davidrfinn99165

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:28 am

Another good song i hadn't heard before Bill...thx again for sharing. And good to see an alternate tuning performance, very cleanly picked as always.

I'm also loving the shirt/wall combo - i've already suggested to michele that our next song should be performed in Kabuki make-up. Did you buy the shirt first or paint the wall first ?? :)

/ david

TGNesh

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:38 am

Well that was really nice to wake up to, having breakfast right this very moment. :) That was really beautiful Bill, in every way. I don't know the song, but you've kept my attention all the way through. And I jJust love your vocals! Nothing new there. ;)

Ness

trix606

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Bill, this was great! Thanks and I know what I am going to be spending time on this weekend. Like I said in the Sunshine thread this is one of my favorites by JE.

It's funny my cousin sent me a YouTube link to a JE version of this song this morning too.

Serendipity!

Thanks again,

Harry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic