Busking Gordon Lightfoot - Early Morning Rain

wrsomers

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

This song has been a favorite of mine for many years. I actually preferred other covers rather than Gordon Lightfoot's; like Peter, Paul and Mary's version. This is my take on it. I tried to make the guitar part sound like a gently falling rain. Let me know if you think I pulled that off. Enjoy.

Bill

willem

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm

It was a gentle sustaining rain,awesome song, thank you.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Very nice Bill, your voice is coming through nicely on this version and your sound is excellent again. I liked how you arranged it. I would say I am a big fan of Gordon's original and its great to hear his songs being played 30, 40 years after he wrote them.

TGNesh

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:02 am

That was really beautiful Bill, no less. And yes, you pulled it off for sure. :)

I like the calmness of the song, which you captured very well. It came really through in the picking and you sang it beautifully too.

Personally I've always only known Elvis' version (I'm a huge Elvis-fan), which actually sounds very similar. I hope you take that as a compliment! ;) In truth, you sang it more beautifully and with more feeling.

Ness

wrsomers

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:07 am

Ness,
Thank you so much. I can only take being compared to "The King" as a compliment. I just listened to Elvis' version. I had never heard it before. The accompaniment sounds paradoxically upbeat in contrast to the lyrics...interesting.

Chris and Willem,
Thanks for listening and your responses.

Bill

dekotaj

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 am

Bravo Bill.

I like these old lightfoot songs. One heck of a songwriter. So many people have covered this great song. And you've got that Peter, Paul and Mary's version going good.
Elvis Presley has a nice cover. Eva Cassidy has one.Alison Krauss and Union Station dose a kinda bluegrass one. But for me just can't beat lightfoot.

Thanks for sharing.
Kev

familyman4

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am

Nice cover Bill.

crieniecat

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Applause!! Woohoo!

Yes, this one I felt. And it must have had to do with the fact that it is one of your favorite songs.
You sang this with the exact feel it needed and yes, the rain was falling down on me....

Wonderfully done :cheer:
Corina

wrsomers

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Thank you Kev, Bart and Corina!!

:) Bill

davidrfinn99165

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:22 pm

My favourite version of this song, of course, is Dylan's take on Self Portrait. I'm afraid i find Gordon Lightfoot's own version rather stiff, i do quite like the Peter, Paul and Mary sound , but Dylan brings a chaotic energy to it which loosens the whole thing up.....

I must seek out the Alison Krauss version someone mentioned. I saw her in London aways back and i love that bluegrass energy too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic