Busking Gordon Lightfoot - Early Morning Rain

sandysue

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:32 pm

That is such a pretty song and you sing and play it so nicely Bill. I still have sheet music to that song and I still play it sometimes. :)

Sandy

BobR

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Bill,

Another fine performance. It is always so enjoyable listening to your uploads

Bob

wrsomers

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:49 am

David - I tried to find Dylan's version on YT but didn't have any luck. I would think his version has a touch of sarcasm like other of his love songs (Don't Think Twice for example). Although Lightfoot could be sarcastic too..."That's What You Get For Loving Me"

Sandy and Bob - Thanks again for you comments.

Bill

dekotaj

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Hey Bill.
I never have found it on you-tube.But this guy dose a good cover of it.

Covered by Bob Dylan
The Settlers
Tony Rice
Harry Belafonte
Johnny Cash
Kingston Trio
Elvis Presley
Eva Cassidy
Peter Paul & Mary
Judy Collins
George Hamilton IV
Jerry Reed
John Carrington
Ian & Sylvia
Brothers Four
Doc Holiday
Ronnie Hawkins
Jerry Lee Lewis
The Travellers
Josh White

pfiske

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Hey, Bill. Wanted to let you know I did look for your PP&M version of Early Morning Rain. Well done. Sounded just like Paul's version. I would like to eventually learn what Peter is doing on the second guitar.
Paulette

wrsomers

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you Paulette (or should it now be "Peterette" :laugh: I'm glad you found and enjoyed it. It might be hard to find Peter's part, but I'm sure he's capoed up and playing in a different chord shape in the same key.

It was a pleasure to meet you at IGC and have the time to be with so many fantastic people.

I hope you and yours made it through Hermine OK.

Best regards,
Bill

wrsomers

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Paulette,
I just found a few videos of PP&M doing "Early Morning Rain". I was wrong. Both Peter and Paul play this in the key of G capoed at the 3rd fret. Chords are G(with Gsus4 hammer on at points), Am, and D7/F#. Paul stays off the 1st string for the most part (accenting the alternating bass), so Peter can play mostly on the first 2 or 3 strings to add the treble embellishments (hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides).

Hope this helps.

Bill

sws626

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:17 am

Hey Bill! That was fantastic. You really captured the wistful atmosphere of this song. I'm also not a great fan of the PPM version as it often seems to me that they were just cranking it out. But you made this come alive.

What arrangement do you have for recording your voice. I'm just listening on the little iPad speaker right now, but was impressed at how well you'd captured the vocals while obviously at some distance from the mic.

-Stuart

wrsomers

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:03 am

sws626 wrote:
Hey Bill! That was fantastic. You really captured the wistful atmosphere of this song. I'm also not a great fan of the PPM version as it often seems to me that they were just cranking it out. But you made this come alive.

What arrangement do you have for recording your voice. I'm just listening on the little iPad speaker right now, but was impressed at how well you'd captured the vocals while obviously at some distance from the mic.

-Stuart
Thank you Stuart. I know what you mean about PPM's version. I really didn't care for Peter's part in the song. But I loved Paul's (especially because he sings more in my range). And of course I could watch and listen to Mary forever; may she rest in peace. But yeah, their version is a little bland.

As far as my recording set up...I use a Samson CO3U Condenser mic with the polar pattern set to super cardiod, the pad set to zero and the Hi-Pass filter set to flat. I use the DAW software that comes with the mic: "Sonar LE Cakewalk". The fx settings I use are: Cakewalk Compressor/Gate... preset "Breathe"; Cakewalk Studioverb2... preset "Small piano room"; Cakewalk ParaQ... preset "default".

If you don't know, condenser microphones are sensitive and you don't have to be right on top of them. One caveat is to use a Spider Shockmount to eliminate vibration noise.

Possibly by now you're thinking TMI :laugh: But you're the first on the forum to receive my mic and DAW secrets.

Thanks for listening.

Bill

NKenny

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:06 am

Very nice Bill. always enjoy your playing and heartfelt singing. Just wondering what model Martin that is and what strings you use? I think I have the same one.

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic