Busking With A Green Screen (Mood For A Day)

kelemenj

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:13 pm

I am experimenting with IMovie and some green screen gimmicks.
Mood For A Day is a wonderful, and for me, an extremely challenging piece. I don't think I have ever performed it in a live setting. I did a version of this almost 2 years ago and revisited it. To call Steve Howe a guitarist's guitarist may be short selling him. IMO, he is the guitarist's guitarist's guitarist. :laugh: :laugh:

Well some day I am bound to get a good version of this worked up! Had fun playing with the video effects though. It's my first effort at green screening.

Cheers,
John

TGNesh

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:52 am

Well done John, kudos to you for tackling this one! I can imagine that it is/was challenging, but you seemed to play through it just fine. It always amazes how diverse you are. From Stray Cats to Classical Gas to Mood for a Day, you get the point! :)

Nice background for sure too! ;)

Ness

auntlynnie

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 am

Well, that was just fantastic!
That is one tough piece to play and you've done a wonderful job with it.
I love the backgrounds - not that you need them - the guitar piece is interesting alone, but it was fun to watch all the scenery while listening.
You have improved so much over the years. Congratulations!
Lynn

familyman4

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:54 am

Great job John! You have this song "performance ready" in my opinion.

As for the green screen, it doesn't mater to me one way or the other. I thought that cat was going to scratch the heck out of you just before the scene changed B)

I think the part that impresses me the most about watching you play, is that you can play all of your finger picking songs while standing up. It isn't as easy as a strumming song but you make it look like no big deal at all.

Thanks for sharing!
Bart

crieniecat

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi John, That was pretty awesome!!
Very well played, it must be a tough nut to crack indeed, well you just did.

And you add something cool to the video on the forum. Yes, very nice, especially the Cat ;)
All gooooood..... :P

Cheers,
Corina

BobR

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi John,

Very fine playing and cool backgrounds as well.

Nice job

Bob

kelemenj

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 am

Ness - Thank You! I always appreciate getting positive feedback from you.

Corina - Thanks! I always feel that videos are better when there is a cat involved.

Bob - Thanks for watching and commenting!

Bart - Thanks! I always prefer to stand while I play. It feels better to me personally. I admit that mechanically it probably isn't the most efficient or ergonomic method. I probably wouldn't even recommend it.

Lynne - Thanks! The thing about improving is, the more I improve, the more more I understand just how far there is to go. To put it another way, the deeper I go, the deeper it gets.

Mood For A Day is for me a piece that I could play for a lifetime. While the actual mechanics get easier with repetition, there is so much more going on in this piece. You go from strumming, to single note runs, to classical style, and back again. There are tempo and dynamic changes to contend with as well. To take all those elements and put them together in a cohesive and expressive musical statement is for me, where the challenge lies. I can come pretty close, but I haven't been able to match how I think the piece should go with how I actually play it. But then again, if I held out for the absolutely perfect performance, I wouldn't post anything.

michelew

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm

WOW!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic