I'm Just A Fish

Craig

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 am

Great tune guys! That is very catchy! Well done!!

Craig

michelew

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Bob that was GREAT! I really enjoyed hearing it's debut at camp and the full production with video was excellent, loved all the tracks.

Very cool.

Shel

daryl

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:16 pm

schembre wrote:
daryl wrote:
Fantastic! As Kevin would say: BRAVO!

Now, details on the music (and mixing) please.
Daryl - thanks. I was in a "Beatles" mood (which is every day), so I broke out the 4-Track (Boss Micro BR), my '78 Hofner 500/1 Bass (through the built in bass filter), '09 Rickenbacker 350V63 (through the built in Vintage Brit filter), '93 Gibson J-160e (Clean), and Hohner Miesterklasse G harp (through the built in condenser mic). I recorded the instruments direct; I double tracked the RIC arpeggios and bounced them to the J-160e rhythm track (track 1). I double tracked the vocals through the built in condenser Mic, via the built-in vocal EQ filter and bounced them to Track 2. The Bass is track 3; the Harp track 4. The drums are the built-in rhythm machine, which I programed for fills between verses, etc (no separate track is needed if you're happy with the programmable drummer). Mastered the mess using the built-in soft compression filter.

I hardly use this 4-Track any more, but when I do I really have a lot of fun ... probably took 2 hours start to finish
Thanks for the details! The RIC and Hofner sounded GREAT. But I really couldn't hear the Gibson. :-( And I really couldn't tell that your vocals were doubled tracked. If you hardly use the 4-track Boss Micro anymore, what do you typically use? I hope you will be uploading more videos in the near future. Perhaps you could do a few Beatles covers.

michelew

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:35 pm

daryl wrote:
schembre wrote:
daryl wrote:

Daryl - thanks. I was in a "Beatles" mood (which is every day), so I broke out the 4-Track (Boss Micro BR), my '78 Hofner 500/1 Bass (through the built in bass filter), '09 Rickenbacker 350V63 (through the built in Vintage Brit filter), '93 Gibson J-160e (Clean), and Hohner Miesterklasse G harp (through the built in condenser mic). I recorded the instruments direct; I double tracked the RIC arpeggios and bounced them to the J-160e rhythm track (track 1). I double tracked the vocals through the built in condenser Mic, via the built-in vocal EQ filter and bounced them to Track 2. The Bass is track 3; the Harp track 4. The drums are the built-in rhythm machine, which I programed for fills between verses, etc (no separate track is needed if you're happy with the programmable drummer). Mastered the mess using the built-in soft compression filter.

I hardly use this 4-Track any more, but when I do I really have a lot of fun ... probably took 2 hours start to finish
That for the details! The RIC and Hofner sounded GREAT. But I really couldn't hear the Gibson. :-( And I really couldn't tell that your vocals were doubled tracked. If you hardly use the 4-track Boss Micro anymore, what do you typically use? I hope you will be uploading more videos in the near future. Perhaps you could do a few Beatles covers.
Perhaps you should both collaborate on a few Beatles covers. That would be cool!

fjeanmur

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Hey Bob--

I'm glad to see you post your IGC song. It's such a nice dressed up version. I loved the harmonica! Very nice work by the entire group.

michelew

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:43 pm

BTW Bob, after seeing your video, I now know why fish have such big mouths, the only question is why DON'T we see MORE scaled harmonica players?

schembre

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 pm

daryl wrote:
schembre wrote:
daryl wrote:

That for the details! The RIC and Hofner sounded GREAT. But I really couldn't hear the Gibson. :-( And I really couldn't tell that your vocals were doubled tracked. If you hardly use the 4-track Boss Micro anymore, what do you typically use? I hope you will be uploading more videos in the near future. Perhaps you could do a few Beatles covers.
Daryl - The J160e was my original pace track (with a drum beat). I left it in, but it sort of got drowned out in the final mix. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to home recording, as a production approach goes. Between my job and weekly gigs (at min), I can't find the time (but I'm grateful to have those). I have several 8 track machines (Boss Micro BR-80, Tascam DP-008EX), a 16 track machine (Boss BR-1600), a 24 track machine (Zoom R24), and a professional edition of Sonar for my PC. I typically try to make live recordings to send out as demos for gigs. For those I usually record direct out from the PA into a hand help Tascam unit, then massage the file (EQ & Compression) with Audacity (it's free, and runs on both Linux & Win). Here's a sample of what that sounds like (Beatles, of course)

Let me know what you use; I'm always curious as to what people find easiest.

Bob

schembre

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:18 pm

michelew wrote:
BTW Bob, after seeing your video, I now know why fish have such big mouths, the only question is why DON'T we see MORE scaled harmonica players?
That, my friend, may have to be the premise of the next song in the fish sagas! ;-)

schembre

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:20 pm

michelew wrote:
Bob that was GREAT! I really enjoyed hearing it's debut at camp and the full production with video was excellent, loved all the tracks.

Very cool.

Shel
You know it was yours and David's prolific work that embarrassed me into defending the fish song's legend! :-)

daryl

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:44 pm

schembre wrote:
daryl wrote:
schembre wrote:
daryl wrote:

Thanks for the details! The RIC and Hofner sounded GREAT. But I really couldn't hear the Gibson. :-( And I really couldn't tell that your vocals were doubled tracked. If you hardly use the 4-track Boss Micro anymore, what do you typically use? I hope you will be uploading more videos in the near future. Perhaps you could do a few Beatles covers.
Daryl - The J160e was my original pace track (with a drum beat). I left it in, but it sort of got drowned out in the final mix. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to home recording, as a production approach goes. Between my job and weekly gigs (at min), I can't find the time (but I'm grateful to have those). I have several 8 track machines (Boss Micro BR-80, Tascam DP-008EX), a 16 track machine (Boss BR-1600), a 24 track machine (Zoom R24), and a professional edition of Sonar for my PC. I typically try to make live recordings to send out as demos for gigs. For those I usually record direct out from the PA into a hand help Tascam unit, then massage the file (EQ & Compression) with Audacity (it's free, and runs on both Linux & Win). Here's a sample of what that sounds like (Beatles, of course)

Let me know what you use; I'm always curious as to what people find easiest.

Bob
You get good sound. I use an M-Audio mbox2 audio interface to my laptop and record with Reaper. I love Reaper (and it even allows me to do some video editing). Unfortunately, I really haven't been playing much as of late. :-( Perhaps this winter I'll get back into the swing of things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic