Busking Leaving on a Jet plane through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm

After Dennis reminded me of the TC Helicon Play Acoustic gadget, I decided to gift myself one and couldn't wait to try it out. Had to get a PhD in buying cables first but my local pro music shop soon sorted me out with the best you can buy (Swiss made Contrix with life time guarantee). So here is my first run through the pre-set settings for the voice.... have not yet set up the guitar settings yet as I don't have an acoustic guitar with working built in mic handy (my 12 string in built mic seems to be on strike) and need to mic up the BSG later. So I just plugged the Godin in and tried out a John Denver song set to an Eagles style "Take it Easy" pre-set :-)

The harmonies are set to match what the guitar is playing, so you will notice on the first chorus of " So kiss me..." it sounds slightly off as I played a C chord instead of a G, duh! :blush: The song only has 3 chords!!

Yamaha48

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 pm

That sounds realy good Cris,and you Tc Helicon.
Thumb up for you my friend.

Cheers Anton

crieniecat

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Wooohooo! Chris, fantastic! :woohoo: :woohoo:

How beautifully sung and played, C chord instead of a G? Oh well... I won't tell anyone ;)

Your phrasing is very nice and the feel you put into the singing is giving the whole song an extra dimension, I like it a lot!
This one goes straight into my top 10 of fav. songs :cheer:

Looking forward to your next post, this gadget seems a lot of fun to play with, and jeeeej.... i'll be checking it out as well, very soon... B)

:cheer: :silly: :side: :woohoo: Corina :kiss:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for tuning in Anton and Corina, Dutch faithfuls! :-)

Could not resist it.... another couple of tryouts......

Hide Your Love Away with a U2 "Haven't Found" setting and Brick in The Wall in "Brickwall Floyd" setting.

TGNesh

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:53 pm

I can totally see why you're having so much fun Chris! :cheer: Sounds great, awesome songs too!

michelew

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Sounding great Chris!

And WHAT a cool gizmo. Great that you can put it on and off during a song with the foot pedal too.

Keep this up .... and the rest of CCNess may be wondering why they've become the cheer squad. ;)

I hope you have s wonderful break.

Talk to you soon.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks for tuning in Ness and Shel, yep, much fun is being had :)

I was able to use the pre-set 37 (Still Haven't Found) for I'm a Believer, New York Mining Disaster and Running to Stand Still and it made all those songs much more fun to do.

If Dennis O is listening in, what can you tell us about your experience with the Play Acoustic so far....?

wrsomers

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Well done Chris. Welcome to the Play Acoustic club. As you may recall, I've been using one of those for close to 2 years. They are a lot of fun and add a lot to one's performance, especially when used sparingly. I'm still learning its features and have found some very interesting sounds. The most important thing to remember is the guitar settings are global, and most of the voice settings are pre-set specific.When using the reverb, body res, and umod settings in the guitar fx section, pay attention to the levels and that they are actually turned on. The results can be dramatic and also the enhanced sound you get out of your guitar by using these settings make the harmonies better and more on key.

Your three songs sounded really good and I was pleasantly surprised that the sound of your Godin electric was enhanced. I bet TC Helicon would be happy to know that (or maybe they already do).

If I can be of any help with it or you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you. I'm no expert with the pedal, but I'm learning. :-)

I also like how your audio/video set-up sounds. I found that the most difficult part of using it...getting my recordings to sound as clear as when I used my USB condenser mic.

Thanks for posting. I hope all is well with you. Merry Holidays and Happy New Year!

Bill

PS. If you are interested in a good pick-up for your BSG, you might want to look into the K&K Pure Mini. I just installed it in my D28 and it sounds awesome. It absoulutely does not affect the original acoustic sound of that guitar. It also is passive and doesn't need a battery. If you are at all handy and can follow directions to the letter, you should be able to install it yourself. Just make sure you use the gel super glue they recommend and practice the installation before you actually glue the 3 transducers to the guitar. The hardest/scariest part is enlarging the end pin hole to accept the cord/cable jack. If you are not willing to tackle the job, a luthier should do it for $50-$75.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:14 am

Many thanks Bill! Yes, I will be getting back to you to get as many tips as I can on using the Play Acoustic. I had actually forgotten you used one! So, here is another tryout with guitar not plugged in (still no progress there!) but with vocals set to Plate Verb+DBL (nr 65)....

crieniecat

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Wow Chris, I really can tell how much you like the device already, you look so comfortable over there :)
And how great to see you post more songs. Sounds great. Keep them coming! :woohoo:

The countdown has begun.... B) :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic