Busking This Shirt - Mary Chapin Carpenter - by Michele

wrsomers

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 pm

michelew wrote:
Bill - thanks - while I was singing along with the original I kept thinking "the piano sounds great, maybe I could...", then there's the drums too of course. Another instrument for my "I'd love to learn it"-list. More dynamics, I hear you Chief. You're absolutely right. And perhaps I should get the words right too eh? :) B)

Shel
Chief? Well now that's a new one for me :laugh: :laugh: I hope you know that I REALLY liked your post and that I'm only trying in my own way to encourage you and let you know how much I really admire what you do, and at the same time give you constructive feedback for whatever it's worth. :). I have always appreciated that from others at TG. Neil has given me the same advice about dynamics, and I try every time I play to work on that. I also work on the advice I've gotten from Vanessa and Corina about camera presence. You have obviously made a lot more progress in mastering that than I have, judging by this performance. :)

Bill

michelew

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:35 pm

wrsomers wrote:
michelew wrote:
Bill - thanks - while I was singing along with the original I kept thinking "the piano sounds great, maybe I could...", then there's the drums too of course. Another instrument for my "I'd love to learn it"-list. More dynamics, I hear you Chief. You're absolutely right. And perhaps I should get the words right too eh? :) B)

Shel
Chief? Well now that's a new one for me :laugh: :laugh: I hope you know that I REALLY liked your post and that I'm only trying in my own way to encourage you and let you know how much I really admire what you do, and at the same time give you constructive feedback for whatever it's worth. :). I have always appreciated that from others at TG. Neil has given me the same advice about dynamics, and I try every time I play to work on that. I also work on the advice I've gotten from Vanessa and Corina about camera presence. You have obviously made a lot more progress in mastering that than I have, judging by this performance. :)

Bill
I'm sorry Bill I obviously got my written tone wrong. I meant 'Chief' as an affectionate thing. I was simply saying you've got a heap of experience I can learn from. Seriously I meant nothing backhanded by it. I also have learned LOTS from other members on the forum.

I'll be more careful with my Aussie witticisms.

It's all good and I definitely appreciate both the praise and the advice.

And regarding camera presence, you've got it in spades. I also have been trying to work on that over the years, I do find it hard and that it's another thing that distracts me from what I'm doing. Yep! Ness and Corina are EXCELLENT role models for that.

Cheers.

Shel

wrsomers

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:31 pm

It's all good my dear. I knew what you meant, and I took it that way :) . You forget I have Scottish blood and many of your countrymen share the same heritage...so Aussie witticisms are not lost on me. :laugh: Hugs
Bill

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Michele

That's Wonderful !

Dermot
Image Image

michelew

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 pm

Hey Bill, good to know our wires were only temporarily tangled. Right back atchya. :)

Hey Dermot - thanks!

spinland

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 am

michelew wrote:
Mark - fingerpicking is my favourite way to play. As Bill says it's all about putting in the time to get it happening. You've obviously got great skills already and dedication so I have no doubt you'll be finger picking real soon. Drop into the forum and show us your progress when you're feeling a little more comfortable. Getting early advice from Neil and Vanessa is a great way to speed up your progress.
Love the detailed response! I need to learn to do that, it's engaging and interesting and fun. :side:

I appreciate the compliment! My dirty secret is I wasn't able to play any of the tracks on that video in one go: I went with what I'm given to understand is a common practice in modern studio recording and ran through them line by line, pausing between takes to regroup and take a listen. Also, on the digital guitar there is almost zero finger pressure to fret clean notes as the fretboard is all pressure-sensitive "string" segments. Given that and the smaller fretboard, my out-of-shape hands are struggling to manage the real thing on my new PRS (especially getting a good four fret span while not bending my wrist in crazy ways).

It's quite a process but I'm definitely putting in the hours to get there. Eventually, B)

daryl

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Extremely well played. Beautifully played.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:14 pm

That was wonderful Shel! Neautifully played and sung. Oops, I meant to write beautifully but neautfully seems like a mix of beautiful and neat, so I 'll stay with that and thank Freud and the bad light for it! Your picking is really good with the thumb pick too, neat! :)That was a thoroughly charming and accomplished job, well done! Wish I could give you a hug.

Chris

michelew

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks guys!

Mark - as I said in your Greg Lake thread, you're not the only one who uses editing tricks to get the sound you want. Thanks for the info on your set up, very interesting.

Daryl - thanks! :blush: that's so good to hear, especially from you. We haven't seen anything from you for a while. Been inspired lately?

Chris - Neautiful - haha! Nice one. Well I'll take it. :) very nice to hear for sure. I'm feeling loved so your hug made it through the ether. Right back atchya. So... have the three of you been playing with your music toys? Will we hear some harmonies soon?

Thanks again.

Shel

spinland

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 am

Glad you enjoyed the geeking, Shel. I do enjoy my tech gadgets!

I personally draw the post-production line at autotuning vocals. Adding some reverb and room acoustics is one thing, but autotune is simply cheating. If you can't hit and hold the notes then you go back and do it again, and again, until you get it right. :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic