Busking Merle Haggard - Misery And Gin

BobR

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Bill,
Very nicely done and enjoyable all around. Your setup sounds great.

Bob

P.S.
We'll need to setup a date to get together.

wrsomers

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Bob! I'll email you about getting together. Funny I was just talking about that this morning.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Go on Bill
Have a Gin !
You deserve it.

:laugh: :laugh:

wrsomers

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Dermot! You're too much :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . One needs a gin to sing this song, and I needed one after trying to record a good take. :) . I might try it again using ear buds so I don't have to try and lip sync. Ah Merle Haggard! God rest his mellifluous soul! :)

Bill

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Bill

Mellifluous
Must say, I think it would be a tongue twister after a few gins !!

A new word for me - :S - that wouldn't be hard !

Dermot

wrsomers

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:47 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Bill

Mellifluous
Must say, I think it would be a tongue twister after a few gins !!

A new word for me - :S - that wouldn't be hard !

Dermot

You got it man! Merle Haggard in a nutshell. :)

Bill

spinland

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 am

wrsomers wrote:
I'm trying to think of another way to record my voice and guitar track together with the video (sans headphones) while I'm playing along with the backing track. Do you have any suggestions?
Morning, Bill!

Methinks you've already hit on what I'd suggest in your comment on another thread: I'm trying earbuds myself. I'm still working out the technical kinks of audio/video recording myself (Dammit, Jim! I'm an animator, not a videographer!) and although the earbuds won't deliver the fidelity of proper studio 'phones I think they'd be fine for hearing backing tracks for cues and such. I'm hoping to have some time to experiment later today.

My main technical problem right now is sync. Even when I record audio and video together, live, there is so much variable latency I can get them to sync at one point and within seconds it's again all out of whack. I've been trying to use the Quicktime app which might be part of the problem, so I picked up a proper recording app (Camtasia) to see how that works.

Mark

wrsomers

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks Mark. With regard to your syncing issues, most likely your video camera is recording at a variable frame rate instead of a fixed frame rate of 24, 30, or 60 fps. When you record audio and video separately, you will end up with sync issues because the audio will always get out of sync. That's because the video frame rate keeps changing (using the variable frame rate setting) while the audio remains constant. So set your camera to a fixed frame rate and you should be all set.

If you want to sync videos that you've already done, visit woowavedreamsync.com. They have software to convert your variable frame rate videos to fixed.

I hope this helps.

Bill

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:09 am

wrsomers wrote:

Mark - I use a Samson condenser mic for recording. I usually try to keep it out of view, but yes, for this song it wasn't in the video because I recorded the sound track separately. I do that when I have a backing track because I don't want to be wearing headphones for the video. If that makes sense? I'm trying to think of another way to record my voice and guitar track together with the video (sans headphones) while I'm playing along with the backing track. Do you have any ideas?

Bill
Great job Bill. You could use earplugs instead of headphones if you don't want earphones in the video? Is that what you mean? Or do you mean you want a way to listen to the backing track and record guitar and vocal at the same time? Or am I on the wrong track? no pun intended. :)

Tom N.

buddy

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:29 am

Hi Bill, Love to see you experimenting with new ideas, songs and tech. Really enjoyed this, Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic