Student Busking Video Review by Vanessa - Mark (Spinland)/Bird On The Wire

TGNesh

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi everyone!

In this video some suggestions on Mark's 'Bird On The Wire'. Hope you'll find some value in there.

TGNess B)

spinland

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to record this! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

All of your critiques are well-taken and I agree with them all. To sum up:

• Using an acoustic. Okay, yes. Yes. I get it. I have my trusty old Art & Lutherie all cleaned up and re-stringed and I shall begin using it more. The novelty of the new electric has had a powerful pull on me but I can overcome. :silly:

• Seating. Yes, I was using a kind of high stool with my "guitar leg" raised a bit with the foot hooked on one of the stool rungs. The other leg was extended almost straight due to the height of the stool. Probably not the best posture. I picked up a cheap footstool (not as pretty as yours, mine is boring black metal) and dragged one of the dining room chairs into my studio to try sitting on that instead.

* Chord fingerings. I do know about the "Neil A" and Em fingerings, but when I was under pressure to play at tempo I quickly reverted to my old ways. Be happy you didn't see my even older fingering for A: I used to always mini-barre it with with my ring finger so I could slide it up and down the fret for moveable barre! That, of course, eliminated all the variations so I went to that version you saw. I shall work harder and harder on un-remembering those and using your recommended fingerings.

• Too far from the fret wires. Yes, yes and yes again. I had no guides to go by when I first started learning basic chords (YouTube—or even the internet in general—didn't exist yet) and I just assumed you were supposed to fret dead center between the wires. Another old ingrained bad habit I have to work hard at un-remembering.

Did I respond to all the points? Heh. I shall be re-watching that video several times in the near future.

I'm working hard to get an upgraded version of Bird on the Wire ready to record, on the acoustic this time, and I hope to include vocals. Playing and singing at the same time is still a challenge for me but singing is still my first love. Oh yeah: thank you for the very kind words about my timing. Thanks to decades of singing to a wide variety of backing music I like to think I have a pretty good internal metronome going on; it's when I muck it up with all that fingers-flying-about guitar stuff that I sometimes lose the feel of the song. :side:

I'll get it down! B)

Thanks again! More to come, soon.

TGNesh

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:00 am

Oh yeah, you sure have been paying attention!! :laugh: ;)

Don't forget the positioning of your wrist (don't bend it to the left) and keeping the palm of your fretting hand somewhat parallel to the neck. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic