Busking Leonard Cohen - Bird on the Wire - Part 2: recording test, verse one only

spinland

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

I've still not cracked the proverbial nut of recording live vocals and acoustic at the same time. Despite the advice and tricks I've found online my microphones are too sensitive and my acoustic too loud for a good, separated mix.

The consensus I'm seeing from seasoned producers is you usually need to break down and record the tracks individually. Until I hit on a set-up that lets me ignore that advice I guess I'll be doing just that.

This video is just the intro and first verse of the song. I'm working diligently to incorporate Ness' feedback on my last foray but, as one can expect, making so many changes to years-ingrained muscle memory isn't going to happen overnight. I did manage (I think) to fret the "Neil A" in all cases but one. I'm also using a foot rest, though I can't get into the classical seating style: it's just not feeling right for me. I'm going to try working with the seating I'm used to but with the foot rest added; too many changes all at once, maybe.

My playing was tentative but I'm having to learn to fret these chords almost as though I'm learning them for the first time. So many different things in the posture, hand positions, et cetera. Not complaining, but it is a wee bit of a struggle (one I am enjoying conquering).

Okay, enough chit-chat. Here's the video of my progress to date.

[video type=youtube]YBWOCBMWS1s[/video]

When I compile the full video I'll add clips of me laying down some of the synth and bass tracks on my MIDI instruments. :side:

daryl

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Coming along nicely. Might a feedback buster help in your two-mike setup?

spinland

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks daryl!

That's an intriguing idea. This beast might could use some taming of that booming voice. :ohmy:

I'm pledged to my beloved not to buy any more gadgets for at least a while (not even cheap ones) but my local music store carries that item so it shall be next on my shopping list (once the spending freeze is lifted). :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm very glad to see that you've been working on 'Neil's A'! :)

Unfortunately the angle of the camera didn't allow me a closer look at the fretting hand. :(

As can be expected, trying to focus on multiple stuff at the same time is hard and actually way too soon now. I would like you to work on those things for at least a couple of weeks/months (trust me, it'll be worthwhile). Just make sure when practicing, to rotate your attention to those different aspects of playing.

If you get to posting another video and you would like it to be reviewed, then I also would love to hear you play without any backing instruments, besides a metronome. Yes, I get the fun in it, so post away as you're doing now ;) . I'm just encouraging you to occasionally do it without and see what happens then.

Keep up the great work Mark, I'm very pleased to see you're having such a good time here at TG!

Ness

spinland

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks, Ness. I'll do that, and work on getting better camera angles. My new "music studio" is rather a work in progress but it'll come together.

I'll also school myself to patience. I can be obsessive and driven—and my own worst critic and harsh taskmaster—and this journey is supposed to be fun, not a mission. :S

Maybe next time I'll also post a mixdown both with and without the backing tracks to get the best of both worlds. :side:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Sounding good so far Mark! Like the psychedelics :-)

spinland

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks, Chris! I need to get the actual playing and singing down better and record all of this bad boy. :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic