Busking Jackson Browne - In The Shape Of A Heart

daryl

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 am

Well done! As Kevin always says BRAVO! You voice was perfect for this song. Super strong. And your guitar sounded fantastic in drop-D. Like others have said, keep uploading.

wrsomers

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 am

Michele - Thanks again for your encouragement! :) And you are right, posting, no matter how many times you've done it, is scary, and requires some fortitude, but in the end worth the effort. :)

Corina - Thank you my dear friend! You always lift me up with your words. Praise for singing, when it comes from one with such beautiful vocal skills as yours means all the more.

Yes the lyrics (and the music) of this song really get to me. The images JB creates and his insightful statements are just so good..."I never knew what she was living without"..."the shallows and the unseen reefs that are there from the start"...Then the the way he sets you up..."there was a hole left in the wall"...later followed by... "I held it in my hand (the heart) for a little while, dropped in into the wall, let it go and heard it fall"...etc...Just brilliant!

I love your rendition of "Angel" and know exactly what you mean about emotions getting in the way. One of the reasons it took me so long to post this, was getting past those emotions during my playing of the song.

Thanks again for inspiring me. :) :)

Daryl - Thank you for your generous praise it is always appreciated. JB does this song in open D tuning. I tried it that way but preferred double drop D (Db actually). Thanks again my friend. Methinks we should do another collab. soon?

Bill

crieniecat

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:28 am

It is I who needs to thank You, my dear friend...

I just got goosebumps from your reply as you've exactly stated the lines that took my breath away....
"I never knew what she was living without"..... Says it all eh? :blush: Beauty in creation, as music was meant to be... In my book at least ;)

As one who writes poems herself, I have a scala of "darker" ones, I was always so surprised when, my intended Dark poem, unfolded itself and ended up with a spark of light in there somewhere... :laugh: What a "bummer" ;) Guess something coming from a deeper part of me refused to give up, no matter what.

Last but certainly not least... Loved your endearing smile/giggle at the end of the video... :kiss:

davidrfinn99165

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 pm

wrsomers wrote:

I had to forget the hat this time, I've never seen JB wear one.

Bill
Thx for response bill.....but i didn't realise you were actually pretending to be Jackson Browne !!
:woohoo:

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:15 pm

wrsomers wrote:
...know exactly what you mean about emotions getting in the way. One of the reasons it took me so long to post this, was getting past those emotions during my playing of the song.
That touched me deeply, Bill. To be so in the moment that the song carries you away emotionally...I love the idea of that.

Mark

wrsomers

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Yup...that's why I can't perform "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" (See lessons section for Chet Atkins)

willem

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 pm

beautiful sound,,enjoyed it..thank you..

also your first JB upload was great.

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Yup...that's why I can't perform "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" (See lessons section for Chet Atkins)
Thank you for making yourself vulnerable to that degree. I hope I didn't sound too fanboy-ish and diminish the significance of personal pain by treating it as something cool. Everyone is fighting a battle we know nothing about and so often art is informed by pain and loss.

Mark

wrsomers

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Mark - All is good. You didn't diminish anything. Pain and loss is at the heart of so much of our music/art. Fortunately there are a lot of fun songs too! I do sing them also, but I seem to gravitate more toward ballads. :)

Willem - Thanks for listening. I always appreciate your comments.

Bill

TGNesh

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:55 am

Hey Bill,

In thruth, I don't know the song at all, so I'm not really connecting with it as you do and obviously many others do....my bad, I'm sure.

You of course sang it great, as you always do. I must sound like a broken record :laugh: , but by now you should know that your vocals are fantastic! :) And you got the abilitly to find the songs that really fit with them too. That sure counts for something as well.

Forgive me for doing so, as a teacher, I can't help to make a suggestion for the playing, which you do just fine, except for the timing here and there (you know, timing is everything ;) ). In particular the chord change from G to A (during the 'in the shape of a heart') and those little runs between parts. I think you said in one of your responses that you plan to fine-tune it. If you iron out those timing issues, then you're all set to go anytime, anywhere.

Great work Bill, also for overcoming any emotional aspects to deliver the song. I do know how much mental strenght that takes. In Swiss, Corina asked me to play a particular song, which she really loves and which i really love to play too. Just the thought of it brought tears to my eyes and i declined, since i just couldn't play it. :( :S

Oh well, proud of you! :)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic