Busking Jackson Browne - In The Shape Of A Heart

wrsomers

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:00 am

Well I guess I sound like a broken record too when I say, thank you very much Ness! :) No forgiveness needed with regard to the teaching. I'll take any suggestions you have to offer because you certainly know by now that I think you are a gifted teacher and a trusted friend.

As I listened to my recording, I heard the timing mistakes. With regard to the strumming parts, I think I was off because of the emotions involved. The runs are still shaky just because I find them hard to do; especially changing to Bm from D and hitting the right notes. But I'll get there eventually. I've never really used cross-picking, or alternate picking for that matter, but I'm getting better at it.

Thanks for your support :) :)

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 am

Had to listen again, this time with headphones, it sounds wonderful! Love the sound of that guitar in dropped D.
How did you record the guitar Bill? Togetehr through the same mike as the vocals? The balance is excellent, I was thinking they must be recorded separately.

Chris

wrsomers

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:16 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Had to listen again, this time with headphones, it sounds wonderful! Love the sound of that guitar in dropped D.
How did you record the guitar Bill? Togetehr through the same mike as the vocals? The balance is excellent, I was thinking they must be recorded separately.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Thanks for listening again. My voice and guitar were recorded through the same mic on one track. This is how I did it:
Sennheiser e835 mic plugged into TC Helicon Play Acoustic
Guitar plugged into TCH Play Acoustic
Both output cables from TCH PA plugged into Yamaha MG06X mixer
Both output cables from mixer plugged into Fishman Loudbox Artist 2 channel amp
Samson CO3U Condenser mic set on Super Cardioid and placed 6" in front of amp
Mic plugged into computer and audio recorded on Sonar LE Cakewalk DAW
DAW FX were: Small Piano Room Reverb; Compressor/Gate Acoustic guitar setting; Equalizer default setting
Video Recorded with Canon Powershot SX20 camera
Video created in Wondershare Filmora program; the sound from the video camera was muted and the audio track from the DAW provided the video sound.

I adjusted the balance in several ways. All of the gain settings for the mic and guitar (as well as Vocal and Guitar FX) are controlled with the Play Acoustic, the mixer and amp gain, equalizer, and volume settings start out neutral, I then fine tune them to get the balance I want. Lastly I adjust the gain and volume the DAW is hearing. While making the video in Filmora, I can adjust the balance more if needed.

Whew!!! Writing that all out makes it seem like a long complicated ordeal. I guess at first it was, but now it's pretty automatic and doesn't take more than an hour from performance to finished video. When setting up a new file in the DAW I just clone a previous recording to get the FX set up I want.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks Bill. I understood most of that. One mic for both voice and guitar. Excellent sound.

daryl

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks Bill. I understood most of that. One mic for both voice and guitar. Excellent sound.
But the guitar was plugged in to the TCH too. So doesn't that mean that the guitar was recorded on TWO tracks?

wrsomers

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 am

daryl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
But the guitar was plugged in to the TCH too. So doesn't that mean that the guitar was recorded on TWO tracks?
Daryl - It would appear the guitar was a separate, or two separate tracks, but even though there were two separate cables for voice and guitar from the TCH, through the mixer to the amp, they got combined at the amp (which only has one speaker (not counting the tweeter)) and then still a single signal from the mic to the DAW. Also since the mic was set on Super Cardiod, there was very little ambient noise going to the DAW. I hope that makes sense.

Bill

familyman4

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 am

Hello Bill,

Sorry I am late to the party as far as responding to your music. I have listened to this video multiple times over the past several days and enjoy it every time. The song takes me back to younger days and listening to JB in my car as a teenager. I am thinking this was on the "Running On Empty" album but I might be wrong about that? It's worth a google.... Anyway, I really love this song but had no idea about the true meaning of the lyrics. Now that you have made me aware, it actually makes me think about the song in a completely different way. I truly thought of it as a love song because the shape of a heart references and without studying all of the words, I just left it at that. And, I suppose it is a love song but it goes way deeper than just saying that.

Thanks for the post and for bringing to light the back story of the song!
Bart

dottmcse85630

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Bill, I have not been on the forum for a week or so. Just saw your Jackson Browne post.
WOW, very very good!

I've been a fan of Jackson Browne since I first heard Doctor My Eyes back when I was in Jr. High.

Love your playing, you are a great influence!

Dennis

BobR

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Bill

I was fortunate to have heard this in progress while I was there. Your final version here really sounded great.

Keep on posting :) :)

Bob

dekotaj

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am

Bravo Bill

Great song. Very nicely played and sung. Look forward to your next one.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic