Busking John Denver — For Baby

michelew

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi Mark,

Good on you for jumping back into the deep end. It's great to see how you're going.

It looks to me like your brain is having to focus on too many things at once; remember the progression, read the lyrics, hear the click track and keep in time, oh my good I'm being filmed - how do I look - etc etc etc. In order to play and sing at the same time in front of a camera or an audience, some of those things need to be automatic, meaning you don't need to think about them consciously. I suggest you slow the tempo down a fair bit to give your poor brain a break.

Here are some threads that touch on the issue of how it becomes more stressful when your brain needs to focus on so many things. I know Neil has some advice in one or more of his weekly updates and I know Ness has advice somewhere too, but I'm not sure where they are. Dermot may of course. But the easiest thing to do straight away is slow it down to allow your body to relax a little.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... =20#136713

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/83- ... tml#132682

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/117 ... html#57133

M

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 am

wrsomers wrote:
...confidence breeds confidence :)

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks for those great links, Michele! Yes, brain overload. As I learned the chord progressions better and better the task saturation eased a little but I'm still far from "there." Those threads have just jumped to the top of my reading list.

Thanks again! :side:

Mark

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 am

daryl wrote:
Now all you have to do is play (and sing) the song another 1000 times and you'll be good to go!

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Wanted to follow up with another thanks to Michele for those forum links. There's so, so much content here to explore, pointers are ever so helpful.

The advice about slowing down, plus using humming and then only keywords as ways to integrate the vocals gradually as I progress, is pure gold. Already implementing it in my practice sessions.

Mark

TGNesh

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Hey Mark,

I actually think you did great, including vocals! In thruth, I thought you did way better when playing it uptempo. I would normally suggest to slow things down, but there are exceptions of the rules, this is one of them. (for several reasons)

Like Shel said, it's hard when you need to focus on too many things at the same time. So I think that you should implement Daryl's advice, which he gave in another thread (I think you've already read it):

Start with getting the guitar part (strumming) down cold.
Then hum along with the strumming (less for the brain to process simultaneously)
Then add the lyrics.

Work on playing the progression by heart too.

Also, like I've mentioned on facebook, the way you sit now is just fine. As for the strumming, try to attack the strings a little less, by hitting them as light/soft as you can, chances are it'll probably be way enough. Also, don't think you need to go for all strings, in particular with those 6 strings chords, such as G and Em etc. When changing chords, make sure when you hit the last upstroke that you really let go of the chord. It's really an open strum, don't drag fingers across the strings when going to another chord.

All in all, again, I think you did a really great job already, keep it up and thanks for sharing!

TGNess B)

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Mark, I'm just returning to check that you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I also thought you did a good job, absolutely. You just looked a little stressed at times. I know that feeling when your brain is stretched because it's concentrating on too many things. I often find that turning on the camera is enough to over stress my head and then I start stumbling and forgetting words, etc.

Anyway - it looks like you've got some great advice.

It's fabulous the way you've jumped into the forum boots and all, especially the way you're posting videos.

See you around.

M

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Great stuff Mark! And well done on diving in and splashing around on this one, its the only way to go if you wanna get ahead. I thought your singing was pretty good and your playing worked for you and when you have had time to use some of the advice you have gotten already, you will be 3 steps ahead. Way to go!

crieniecat

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Congrats on your first "singing/playing/videoing/everyoneswatchingmenow/challenge!" :P
You did very well and seen the way you suck in all the tips and tricks you get around here, I think more posts will soon follow ;)

Keep em coming :)
Corina.

Ps cool you'll be coming to IGC 2017

BobR

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Mark,

Way to go. :woohoo: You did a really fine job on that. :)

thanks for busking ;)

bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic