Busking John Denver — For Baby

dekotaj

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

Where do you get to see the video everyone is talking about?
Kevin

TGNesh

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:17 am

dekotaj wrote:
Kevin

dekotaj

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks Ness

Bravo Sir. Enjoyed watching and hearing your cover. Thanks for joining the posting club here. Hope to see and hear more from you soon.

Kevin

BigBear

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Mark- Really nice job! You've certainly improved a lot!! May I humbly suggest backing off your attack somewhat? The guitar is there to support your vocals not the other way around. When you are stressed out by performing there is a natural tendency to start banging on the guitar. And all we hear are heavy ups and downs.

Maybe consider slowing down a bit and changing from full 6-string chords to partial chords or even just bass notes. Or play three string chords lightly. Or skip strums and only lightly brush the downstrokes. When you do that it appears to the audience that you are in control of the song. John Denver had a melodic, almost lilting voice, but he never tried to power through his songs. He was an outstanding Travis picker, too. You might try that as you get more comfortable.

You've got the bones of this beautiful song now work on toning it down and making it into a love song.

Cheers and happy playin'

Bear

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Dang, you woke the Bear, Mark! He's not been around these woods in a while, a very long winter sleep! :laugh:

TGNesh

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought something along those lines as well! :P

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Dang, you woke the Bear, Mark! He's not been around these woods in a while, a very long winter sleep! :laugh:

spinland

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:50 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Dang, you woke the Bear, Mark!

spinland

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 am

BigBear wrote:
May I humbly suggest...
I crave and cherish all constructive suggestions, no humility in the delivery required. :silly:

Yes, I banged on those strings like my life depended on it. I was remarking a while back about how loud and booming my acoustic is when, truth be told, it's the nut holding the pick.

I'm hoping that with (many) more practice sessions in front of a camera and mic I'll lose the tense, strained playing (and singing). I can't feel and emote the music until I'm comfortable while making it. You're spot on about needing to work on focused picking, too. Get more articulation and expression into the chords.

Thank you so much for the comments, and I very much look forward to sharing an improved rendition of this tune, as well as many more to come. :side:

Mark

spinland

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 am

TGVanessa wrote:
I thought you did way better when playing it uptempo.
I agree. i think that when I was uptempo I stopped thinking and just played, and the strumming became more natural and organic. Need to practice (as said above) another thousand times or so until I can play the whole piece from the heart and not the head.
Also, like I've mentioned on facebook, the way you sit now is just fine. As for the strumming, try to attack the strings a little less, by hitting them as light/soft as you can, chances are it'll probably be way enough. Also, don't think you need to go for all strings, in particular with those 6 strings chords, such as G and Em etc. When changing chords, make sure when you hit the last upstroke that you really let go of the chord. It's really an open strum, don't drag fingers across the strings when going to another chord.
Yes, this. It's a trend in the comments on the piece and I am sold. I was trying to kill the strings instead of letting the acoustics of the body do the work. Same problem on my electric, where the first day I played it I broke the treble e string while attacking it like I was a starving wolf. Nerves; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :silly:

Thanks for the insights, Ness!

spinland

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 am

dekotaj wrote:
I have exercised self-restraint few times more strongly than when I resisted Rickrolling this question. :silly:

Mark :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic