Play !T and Post !T

michelew

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Mark - There's also an area that specifically for collaborations. I think Chris may have kicked off the first one of them too..... hmmm ... history evades me. :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Good question Mark. There are the Busking threads, Collaborations threads, Making Music, Jamming and the Off Topic threads. Whatever you have will fit in there somewhere. Makes no real difference. We used to have a busking uploader but I am never sure if its working or not.

Great to see all the responses guys! Thanks for chiming in.

I think you are on the right track Bart and Bill. Folks have been conditioned to think music is played by professionals and we pay for it or just have in the background and in the elevator. I really do think that most people don't really appreciate what goes into live playing even on a casual basis. So we are the lucky ones as we benefit on so many levels; what our brains have to do when we play and sing is the best brain health therapy possible. We are emotionally enriched by what we do. And others are just not aware. Sure they have an emotional response to live music but may not want to actively listen. The world conspires to make us passive, never give in!

Reminds me of what Robert Fulgum says in All I Needed To Know, I Learned in Kindergarten. He tells the story of visiting Kindergartens and giving graduation speeches in quick succession. He asked the graduates, who can sing? A handful responded. Who can dance? Same response. He tells the graduates that he was just in Kindergarten and he asked, who can sing? and everyone jumped up saying "I can sing, lets sing now!" Then he asked, who can dance? Same response. So he asks the graduates, what happened to you, when did you lose the ability to dance and sing? He tells us we need to take music back from the professionals!

Scott, I know, I live in a wonderland! You show me Alaska, I'll show you Switzerland (slight size difference!!).

Vanessa, sure could use you and Crieniecat right now! Snow day tomorrow so I'll be inside next to a warm fire hugging my guitar :laugh:

wrsomers

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Chris,
That's a brilliant assessment. I think you are absolutely right. Thanks for your insight. :)
Bill

crieniecat

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Chris, brilliant thread! Well said and so true!

On a personal note, as one who almost never watches tv, there can't be enough music played around the house!!
When my dad still lived and I asked him to play the piano, (we had a medium concert piano) I would become so annoyed when other family members started to raise their voice, trying to fill the room with mostly bla bla, instead of fully appreciating what was presented to them on a much more intelligent level B)

Ah well, soon I found a way for myself to place us in a kind of bubble which filtered out all the fuzzy grey sounds around us and to focus on what was going on;
a very talented man creating a unique thing called " music and beloved memories" That was his true legacy B)

Switzerland, a fireplace, do I hear Music?! Aaaargh... this Cat has to work... another day :lol: :woohoo: ;)

dottmcse85630

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

UG! Chris you are right! Never too many posts. And "Don't let the music die inside you" Wow how that rings!

For months I have been trying to muster the courage to busk a song to post, but keep coming up with excuses to do so. Oh not this song I need to polish up a bit more. I don't have time maybe tomorrow I'll get the camera out, so on and so on. Perhaps it may be the level where I am at, not feeling the depths of the mechanics in playing, FEARS!
I just need to do it.

Dennis

P.S. Ness I hear you in my head every time I sit down to practice: Relax, focus, pay attention to your fretting hand.

daryl

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:53 pm

dottmcse85630 wrote:
UG! Chris you are right! Never too many posts. And "Don't let the music die inside you" Wow how that rings!

For months I have been trying to muster the courage to busk a song to post, but keep coming up with excuses to do so. Oh not this song I need to polish up a bit more. I don't have time maybe tomorrow I'll get the camera out, so on and so on. Perhaps it may be the level where I am at, not feeling the depths of the mechanics in playing, FEARS!
I just need to do it.

Dennis

P.S. Ness I hear you in my head every time I sit down to practice: Relax, focus, pay attention to your fretting hand.
Dennis, Here's what you do. Next time you're going to play guitar, set up your video camera and push the record button. And then don't even think about the camera. Focus on your guitar playing. After you've played a couple songs, stop the camera. Then find the recorded video files and delete them. Then do it again. Maybe even turn on some lights so you get a better quality video. Play a couple more songs and maybe look at the camera now and then while you're playing. Stop the camera and delete the files. After a few more rounds you won't even think about the camera being on. Then, if you want, you can watch one of the videos before you delete it. The beauty of video recording is that you can ALWAYS delete the recording before ANYONE else sees it. No "courage" necessary. The best part of video recording is that you can actually watch yourself play and see and hear the things that aren't quite right (that you never heard WHILE you're playing). Video recording really helps one improve. After a while, your technique improves and your "fear" lessens. Eventually, your confidence will improve and you WILL upload a video. Good luck. Have fun. Do it for yourself.

spinland

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 pm

dottmcse85630 wrote:
I just need to do it.
I feel you, brother. So much. The excuses, the "need to work out this techie issue or that one," the "gotta get this down more smoothly."

daryl is good, daryl is wise. Just start doing it, and then delete it. And then some more. Then after a few dozen deletes, post your first one and then almost delete the post, the tremors kick in so hard. :blink:

They keep telling me it gets easier. :side:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:34 am

Wise words from Daryl for you Dennis! Yes, its a great idea to turn on the camera and just get used to it being there. You can always delete and if you do take a peek at what you are doing, you will notice something (a lot of somethings) which you can change and improove on. By the end of the day you will be miles ahead. In a couple of days you will surely have something you dare to post. Posting is then another level of courageousness :laugh: a walk across the burning coals to see if you get your feet burned, or not. Its a rite of passage here at TG and in your guitar playing life. That step is basically the start of your playing for others journey. You will then never look back. Enjoy the trip Dennis!

TGNesh

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 am

:laugh: :laugh: ;) Great!! :cheer:

dottmcse85630 wrote:

wrsomers

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:07 pm

spinland wrote:
I find myself getting annoyed at venues where I want to hear the music and am surrounded by noisy patrons who don't care. I expect there's a difference between being "at a concert" and being at a pub or coffeehouse where the music is a secondary draw. Dunno.

Mark
In re-reading this thread, what Mark said about venues where you want to hear the music, hit a chord (pun intended) with me. A couple months ago I attended a Jackson Browne concert at a medium sized concert theater. Unfortunately for my row, the people in the rows behind and in front of us were populated by a group of friends that had just been to one of the group's birthday parties. Some of them were obviously inebriated. These people were all middle aged, not kids. They were so loud and obnoxious that several of the people in our row (including me) complained to the ushers. After being spoken to, they became more obnoxious in response. It was not a good experience. So no Mark, it's not always different being at a concert rather than a pub or coffeehouse. I'll think twice before paying large amounts of money to see artists that can be talked over by certain members of the audience.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic