Busking To Our Children's Children's Children: Watching and Waiting

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for tuning in Craig. Its good to get another song under my belt.... and it will only improve with time :)

What are you playing these days? Wanna post?

dekotaj

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 am

Bravo Chris.

Thanks for posting. Another great song. I do enjoy hearing you sing. Play it post it working out good. Look forward to seeing and hearing more from you.

Have a good one sir

kev

wrsomers

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 am

Very nicely done Chris. You are our Moody Blues expert. You definitely have the voice for it.

As far as the F chord goes, might I suggest you play it in the "thumb over" position. I have used it for years with much success. It appears you thumb wrap a bit on other chords so it shouldn't be too hard for you.

Just for review the fingering would be...index barres strings 1 and 2 at the first fret; middle finger frets string 3 at the second fret; ring finger frets string 5 at the third fret; pinky finger frets string 4 at the third fret; and thumb frets 6th string at the first fret.

Using this finger allows quicker chord changes to C, Am, G, and Em. It also allows you to use your thumb for some 6th string bass runs. It also allows you to play an F add 9 just by lifting your middle finger. Neil Young does it all the time.

Try it, you might like it (even though some teacher I know would say it's not a good idea :laugh: )

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for tuning in Kev and Bill!

Kev, what are you playing these days?

Thanks Bill, I'm used to playing the thumb wrapped F a lot. I agree its easier and has a lot of uses. On this song I feel it needs mostly the barre, I guess I just have to keep working on it to get the notes clearer and the move more certain. Its not like I'm not used to the Barred F, its just that it remains difficult on a wide necked guitar like my BSG. Ah well, there are worse things..... er, just remind me what they are :laugh:

wrsomers

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Chris, I totally understand your pain. I use the barred F sometimes. Actually the hardest barre chord for me is the barred Bm7 at the 2nd fret. 3rd string buzzes much too often. One other thing I would suggest regarding your difficulty with a barre at the 1st fret. The string height at the nut may be too high. Starting from the 1st string moving to the 6th or low E, I like these string clearances at the 1st fret: .014, .016, .016, .016, 016, and .018. Those numbers assume that your neck relief is somewhere around .005 to .010. Geeky stuff, I know but those things really make a difference.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Bill, the set up is good.... its just me! I was playing it just now and it worked just fine.... fingers not so tired.

tombo1230

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Fantastic Chris,
sounding great! Like someone already said....are you sure you weren't in the Moody Blues? B) :)

For what it's worth, I love the barred F chord, it's the easiest way to play an F for me. Weirdly it took a day to learn how to play it.
I must be a freak in that respect. :blink: :)

Cheers,

Tom N.

crieniecat

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 am

.....Chris Thnx for giving me so much credits to an obviously outstanding Moody Blues cover from your hand :blush:
As always it is so lovely to figure out and unravel together with you... magically fantastic!!

Wondering though why you've waited 20 years to ask me for the key to unlock this song :blink: ;) B) :kiss:
(Hmm.... can't find a snail emoticon in there.... :laugh: :silly: :laugh: )

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for tuning in Tom! You must be a freak of nature on that barred F! I have though a lot about it and think that a big part of it for me that my index finger just does not always cover all the strings evenly, so some are dud and others ring out and that with repetition over time, my hand gets tired and results in more duds. Landing on it is another issue which practice always helps. I just played the song through and the F was working well. BTW, been a looooong time since we have heard from you video wise.....

Ah, Corina, it only took a moment for me to ask, not 20 years :) , I figure, I have to suffer a little to make the final solution all that more satisfying :laugh: . Yes, we seem to have a magical way of working on these songs. Efharisto!

TGNesh

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 am

Once again, your gorgeous voice really shines through on this one Chris! The song or probably the Moody Blues is/are made for you. ;)

You sounded great!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic