Busking To Our Children's Children's Children: Watching and Waiting

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Here's a song I have been trying to do for ever. Its simple enough but its been so elusive for so long. Slow and gentle songs seem to be the hardest to interpret with just a guitar and one voice so I knew I needed help on how to sing this right and luckily we have our resident vocalist, Corina, we can call on. So I sent a recording to Corina and asked for some coaching. Corina was able to tell me exactly what I needed to know in exactly the right way and I had another couple of goes at it which I knew I could delete as I could see and hear it wasn't what i wanted, nor what was asked for by Corina. So this is the third attempt and I know the guitar playing is not very good (I had problems fretting the dreaded F chord!) but I finally got somewhere near what I wanted..... after about 20 years of trying!! So thanks to Corina for the magic feedback :) I think I am now on the right track (so to speak ;-)).

And if you have tuned in here, please checkout Sandy's lovely Play !t and Post !t singing Blue Bayou

Recorded the same way as You Can Never Go Home using just the Sony HDI camera and its stereo mics and then adding reverb in AVS.

daryl

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Hooray Corina. Chris your playing seemed so natural. I can't believe it took you 20 years to get to this one! BTW F-chords suck.

davidrfinn99165

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Another great performance Chris... your vocals sound so authentic - were you actually in the Moody Blues ?

/ david

sandysue

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Very beautiful Chris. I could hear Corina singing along with you remotely. I'm so glad to hear that you and Daryl both like the F Chord as well as I do. :S
Thank you for mentioning me in your thread. That was very sweet of you. :)

Sandy

familyman4

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Hey there Chris,

It must be a great feeling for you to get this song under your belt so nicely after waiting for 20 years to completely learn it! You sounded really great! I also like the way you experiment with your music playing area. Nice touch with the dark background and candles burning on the window sill. I can tell that you are paying attention to these details for your recordings.

Thank you for sharing!
Bart

michelew

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 am

Very nice Chris. You're getting great sound on this. And I especially like your vocals.
M

spinland

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:47 am

So, with all the time you said this took, it aged like a fine wine. Beautiful.

There'll be a dreaded "F You" chord in my next one, too, as well as another barre. Feeling your pain, sir. :silly:

Mark

davidrfinn99165

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:27 am

familyman4 wrote:

Nice touch with the dark background and candles burning on the window sill. I can tell that you are paying attention to these details for your recordings.

Bart
Well observed bart... i thought maybe chris had forgotten to pay the electricity bill......

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for tuning in folks!

Thanks Daryl, over the years I often had a go at this song but it just never sounded right or satisfying, not something I'd ever want to play for anyone. So I am happy to have cracked it with Corina's help, now I just have to sort out those Barre F changes and get a cleaner sound :S

Ha! David, I wish! Maybe in some alternate universe! :laugh:

Thanks Sandy, yeah, just love the F chord :laugh: I wonder why a Bm is easier?

Yes, well spotted Bart, needed a better visual as the background in the last one was too bright and the camera is made for low light. I had seen photographers using just one spotlight to illuminate a photo this way and I like the intimacy and focus it gives leaving colour in the middle which washes out to grey/black with distance out. I've though about using a green screen but with the wide angle, I need a big sheet!

Thanks Shel and Mark, hope my voice matures like a fine wine rather getting moldy and green like some old cheese with age!! :laugh:

Craig

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am

Another great effort Chris! Your voice is really nice on this tune. Congratulations on being able to check this one off on your song list, which you definitely can because you could play this anywhere and be confident.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic