Collaboration: Faded Memories by the Time Zone Zombies

michelew

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:39 am

Hi everyone,

Well this is another TZZ original song. If you've been following the forum you'd most likely know that this song was inspired by a photograph I came across while responding to one of Lynn's threads. That in turn prompted me to issue a song challenge which is here if anyone missed it.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/81- ... there.html

As is normally the case for me the original lyrics that I posted in the above thread changed a little once I started to sing them. And after sending a demo to David, we worked it up as a TZZ number. It originally had a more sombre feeling, but I think this version is more fun. :)

We hope you enjoy it.

Shel

Faded Memories

Looking through old photographs
Black and white smiles and laughs
I see a man who's love I knew
...Faded photographs
A little me and my grand dad
Who would I be if not for you?

I see your face sketched on mine
You were strong, quiet and kind
Your steady love moulded me as I grew
Still young when you passed away
My Memories have began to fade
But your love lives in through and through

Memories of you in your dusty shed
Brushes, turpentine and cans outspread
You saw the world in all it's hues
Sitting with you in that wondrous place
A wealth of know how on display
A treasure trove of motor parts and tools

Looking through old photographs
Black and white smiles and laughs
I miss a man who's love I knew
... Faded photographs
A little me and my grand dad
Who would I be if not for you?

I remember the games we played
How we whiled the hours away
Checkers, chess and darts we threw
I remember sitting by your side
You read your paper, you studied your guide
As you taught me things you knew

Who would I be today
If not for the games we played,
If not for the love that shone from you
Who would I be today
If not for the part you played
In guiding me, keeping my aim true

wrsomers

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 am

Shel,
What can I say? Just beautiful. Such a wonderful tribute from a daughter to her Dad. Being the father of two daughters, your lyrics, for me, just about say it all regarding the love between fathers and their children. Thanks for sharing your story and for reminding me also about my Dad and what he taught, and meant, to me.

/david,
Nice job with the leads.

Now you both have paid tribute to your fathers with TZZ songs!

Thank you! :)

Bill

daryl

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:54 am

Brilliant. Best TZZ song to date. Great melody/progression. Touching lyrics that fit the melody well. Your songwriting skills are developing nicely. And David, you had some good licks in there that complimented the melody nicely.

sandysue

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 am

Beautiful song Michele and David. I love your lyrics, vocals, and guitar playing, and video presentation. Loosing the people that we love the most, especially our parents, is a sad and sobering experience, that we can all relate to at some point. Your lyrics really put it all in to perspective.in a kind and gentle way. You two just keep exceeding the bar on your song writing and musical collaborations. This is my favorite so far. :)

Sandy

spinland

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:21 am

I'm running out of superlatives. Wow...just, wow. That was touching, beautiful, and professional.

Damn. :huh:

:side:

Mark

davidrfinn99165

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:49 am

Thx so much Bill, Daryl, Sandy and Mark. I suspect the australian half of this combo is sleeping at the moment so i can probably get away with saying that it was a privilege for me to see this song develop through the forum thread into a full set of lyrics and then into a recorded piece. Way to go Shel !!

A couple of years ago i set myself an objective of learning how to play leads and fills, and also decided to start playing with a pick again. Nothing elaborate yet but i am enjoying the challenge of adding a part to a song. Garageband rocks haha ! (i thought i'd add that for the tech nerds... i have no idea what it means....)

/ david

willem

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Wonderful in all his aspects..

Willem :)

familyman4

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Great job you two!

The lyrics are so heartfelt and personal and the entire song is put together so professionally. Great job mixing it all together!

David, good to see your leads and fills throughout the song. It definitely adds more depth to the piece.

Thanks once again for sharing!
Bart

Craig

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Lyrics, progression, leads, bass walk downs, vocals, all aspects are just fabulous!!

Great job you two!! Incredibly wonderful!!

Craig

michelew

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Bill, Daryl, Sandy, Mark, Willem, Bart and Craig,

Thanks SO much for your wonderful comments. It was fabulous waking up to them; I'm thrilled at your responses. :)

Just one thing which I've obviously been too vague about; the song is a tribute to my father's father - my grandfather. In the song I call him my grand dad, but my brother and I called him pop. Pop is pretty common here for grandfathers rather than fathers. If I was writing a song about my father (who's still alive) ... well that would be a completely different song.

Bill - I'm glad it made you think about your father and what he gave you. In there a song in you too?

David - you're the sweetest; I LOVE collaborating with you. Everyone who's trying to write songs should have a you to collaborate with. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: And I loved your leads and fills in this song.

Thanks again everyone. Smiling here.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic