Busking Leonard Cohen—Bird on the Wire (full song)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:06 pm

I thought you sang that really well Mark, well done! You obviously can handle all the technical and video elements too.
I would vote for the acoustic too ;-).

spinland

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks, Chris!

Methinks that experiment has run its course, for all it was fun working on it. I wanted to give the PRS its turn on my roster but, as you all have (correctly) pointed out, it's never going to be more than a poor substitute for the real thing.

Today's practice was all on the Grand Dame and I'm going to let the PRS work where it's better suited in other styles of music. :side:

Mark

familyman4

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Hello Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experiment with the TG community! I would agree that the electric guitar is an awesome tool for rocking, playing in a band, jamming to backing tracks, etc., but for a solo act, you just can't beat an acoustic.

Keep them coming! I appreciate you sharing your growing experience with us....

Bart

TGNesh

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 am

I thought you sang it really well as well Mark! (I won't bring up 'the acoustic guitar' :P )

I'm also very pleased to see you're using the recommended shapes. ;)

Good job!

Ness

spinland

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 am

TGVanessa wrote:
(I won't bring up 'the acoustic guitar' :P )
I'm also very pleased to see you're using the recommended shapes. ;)

Good job!

Ness
Thanks! Years of bad habits die hard but I'm working very hard to undo them. Like Daryl recommended to me, I need to spend more time bouncing the corrected shapes and fretting hand position until I can finger them more cleanly. I'll get there.

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 am

familyman4 wrote:
Hello Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experiment with the TG community! I would agree that the electric guitar is an awesome tool for rocking, playing in a band, jamming to backing tracks, etc., but for a solo act, you just can't beat an acoustic.

Keep them coming! I appreciate you sharing your growing experience with us....

Bart
Thanks, Bart! I do have several in the queue, in varying staged of awfulness—and all planned to be played on the Grand Dame. No worries. :side:

Mark

michelew

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:31 pm

It was good seeing where this has landed. I don't know this song, but I was particularly enjoying the bass(?) groove you had going at the beginning. I would have loved to have heard it return at some point.

Nice.

Thanks for sharing Mark.

M

spinland

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 am

michelew wrote:
...I was particularly enjoying the bass(?) groove you had going at the beginning. I would have loved to have heard it return at some point.
Thanks, Shel! Yes, that was my digital set up to play as a generic '60s-era "P Bass" and the groove was really, really easy: just going back and forth between two D notes. I based this arrangement around kd lang's cover on her Songs from the 49th Parallel album and that was my attempt to recreate the bass track I heard there—my first foray into "bass playing" and it was fun! It was supposed to be in the mix for most of the song but clearly when I mastered it I didn't do enough to help it not get lost. :blush:

I get a tiny bit better every one of these I do. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic