Busking Cold Play

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:28 am

I'm on Crete for a couple of weeks, this time in spring, and its a rainy day outside (a first for me here) so time to change strings and play a song that you have to tune down 3 half steps to play, so I only do it when changing strings. I last played it when Vanessa and Corina came to Zürich 2 years ago and I met them for the first time. So, long time no play. Hmmm, my memory for lyrics is slowing up a bit but I could remember most of it. What takes some doing is getting the feel of the strum as you have to accentuate the bass sometimes and sometimes the drone on the high strings and remember the strings are very slack at 3 half steps down. Also, this song has a great dynamic which the band play out with adding a driving beat and some great melody lines on E-guitar. But its just me acoustic so, hmmmm? My first take was fraught with errors and after a while my fingers were getting numb as you just play an E shape and move up and down the neck all through, that hurts after a while. You have to accentuate the bass and then the drone on the high strings and get a good mix, so although its simple to play in chord shapes, its still a challenge to do well. I'm using a pic so that's always a challenge for me to get the feel right. So I am editing my first take which I had to splice in 3 places and still didn't get the ending anywhere near right and I am noticing all the errors. After I finish splicing the video, I think to myself, how about one more try before I tune the strings up to normal pitch (For me A=432 hRZ) and, bingo it works much better, not perfect as I still don't get the lead up to the ending right but much better. The process of editing helped me put together in my mind what I need to to do to get it right. So here it is.... although, I did mess up the ad lib bit towards the ending... Yamas! (cheers) to all (had to have an ouzo to celebrate).

jayswett

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 am

Great video to wake up to, this Saturday morning. Enjoyed it very much.

wrsomers

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 am

Well done Chris! Interesting chord progression to say the least. I think it is somewhat ironic that you would post a song that uses a sliding E shape at the same time I revived a thread that did the same thing (only on top of open D tuning). Yamas to you too my friend!

Bill

BobR

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 am

Hi Chris,

Very nicely done. Enjoy Crete and a few ouzos :cheer: :cheer:

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for tuning in Jay, Bill and Bob! I bet it was a bit of a shock not being a Moody Blues song :laugh: but Chris Martin really is my name, if I just use my first and Middle name :laugh:

sandysue

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Wow Chris. I love the sound of that chord progression. Your guitar sounds beautiful and your voice always sounds good. :)

wrsomers

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:38 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for tuning in Jay, Bill and Bob! I bet it was a bit of a shock not being a Moody Blues song :laugh: but Chris Martin really is my name, if I just use my first and Middle name :laugh:
Chris Martin? That's the name of C.F. Martin's owner and CEO. But I don't think you own 3,000 guitars like he does. That's no joke, he actually does, and even more incredible, he doesn't play.

daryl

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Crete again?!?! I'm green.

Your guitar (and vocals) sounded wonderful.

Yamas!

spinland

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Wow, very cool video!

I'm inspired, not only by your skills, but by the spare set of kit you used to record and produce it. Great stuff! :side:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:03 am

Many thanks for tuning in Sandy, Bill, Daryl and Mark!

Glad you enjoyed it Sandy! Yes Daryl, you get it, I just come here to turn you green :laugh: ... and to re-balance myself and tank up on some wonderful energy for the weeks ahead. I'd spend half the year here if I could! Mark, I am just using my Sony HDR MV1 which is smaller than my cell phone (not as thin) and my lap top to edit and post, so no big bag of equipment with me, works just fine and my cell phone (Samsung S7 Edge) would do the job too if I had someone to hold it! And Bill, I understand owning 3000 guitars but can't compute not playing them! :blink: :laugh:

After yesterdays rain day, its sunshine all round today so I may not get too much playing in..... and I need an ouzo, Yamas!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic