Busking Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence

michelew

Tue May 02, 2017 3:16 am

Very Nice Bill. Good to see you back.

M

buddy

Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Bill, I have not heard this song before so thanks for the introduction. Nice work on both the playing and the singing. thanks for the tutorial at the end as well.

bud

davidrfinn99165

Thu May 04, 2017 8:15 am

Good song choice as always bill, and an absolute pleasure to see you perform again.

thx for the tutorial as well... are you doing that guitar tuned down a semi-tone thing again??

/ david

TGNesh

Thu May 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Nice arrangement you got there Bill, well done!

As for your challenge, well....be careful what you wish for. :P

As you already knew I got the song really high up my list for quite a while, so at the moment I just simply need to get it recorded. And then I'll throw the ball back in your court. :laugh: ;)

Ness

wrsomers

Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you Ted, Mark Michele, and Bud.

Bob, thank you as well; yes that is a PRS you saw, but not the old one, I upgraded to the standard CE 24. It plays very well. No problems so far.

/david, thanks for your praise. Yes, I always tune my guitar down a half step so I can sing certain songs within my range.

Thanks Ness, I'm glad you liked it. I know exactly what I'm wishing for and have no fear :P . I can't wait to see what Ness magic you come up with for this song :) . I would really like to see it in the of A (capo at 2, absolute key of B) because for me, singing it in the absolute key of A (key of G capoed up one step) makes the voicing a little thin/shrill. I think it needs some lower notes to make it sound better. I'm standing in my court waiting for your first serve ;) I think I got that right???? :side:

Bill

Keys edited 6:41 PM

TGNesh

Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 am

Many thanks for the vote of confidence Bill!

As for what you would like to see, I would have to dissapoint you there. And in thruth, I don't think you would want it either. Key of G is hard enough as it is (at least it will be in the arrangement that I have) and key of A would be even way harder and is not the solution anyway, since you would simply raise everything (you don't get lower sounding voicings). Take the signature notes down an octave and you get muddled up in the bass-strings, so that's not the answer.

If you want it per se, I sure can imagine you don't want the key of G (Capo IV), because of the high voicings you get then, you might wanna try it in the key of C (guitar a half step down, which you already do). It will have its own disadvantages, but vocally it will work.

Still I think you're best off playing it as you did. I really didn't think it sounded thin/shrill. But I can see why you would wanna raise it for vocal reasons. Personally I would compromise the guitarplaying in order to support my vocal range (not álways though), which is one of the differences between Neil and me. ;) :laugh:

So, since you had been working on an arrangement in the key of G anyway, I'd say, get back to the drawing board and see what you come up with in the key of C. :P

wrsomers wrote:

Thanks Ness, I'm glad you liked it. I know exactly what I'm wishing for and have no fear :P . I can't wait to see what Ness magic you come up with for this song :) . I would really like to see it in the of A (capo at 2, absolute key of B) because for me, singing it in the absolute key of A (key of G capoed up one step) makes the voicing a little thin/shrill. I think it needs some lower notes to make it sound better. I'm standing in my court waiting for your first serve ;) I think I got that right???? :side:

Bill

Keys edited 6:41 PM

wrsomers

Fri May 05, 2017 4:49 am

Thank Ness!

I really appreciate your input. I knew I could count on you to "give it to me straight" ;) . I have tried it in the key of G at the 5th fret (absolute key of B for my down-tuned guitar). Vocally it is better and I guess I'll just have to find myself a bass player to round out my sound :laugh: . I'll give the key of C a try just for fun.

As far as your and Neil's difference in style regarding changing key for vocal reasons...I vote for you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . sorry Neil ;) .

Many thanks Ness and now I can't wait to hear your version of this great song. TG is a super learning place made even more special because of you.

xoxo

Bill

TGNesh

Fri May 05, 2017 4:38 pm

:laugh: I'm very pleased with that particular vote!! :cheer:

Big hug right back at ya! xoxo

Ness (who will be back on Monday B) ;) )

wrsomers wrote:
Thank Ness!

I really appreciate your input. I knew I could count on you to "give it to me straight" ;) . I have tried it in the key of G at the 5th fret (absolute key of B for my down-tuned guitar). Vocally it is better and I guess I'll just have to find myself a bass player to round out my sound :laugh: . I'll give the key of C a try just for fun.

As far as your and Neil's difference in style regarding changing key for vocal reasons...I vote for you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . sorry Neil ;) .

Many thanks Ness and now I can't wait to hear your version of this great song. TG is a super learning place made even more special because of you.

xoxo

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Fri May 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Great video Bill, very nicely played and sung. The Taylor sounded perfect, lovely guitar!

crieniecat

Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi Bill!
Well sung and played. I didn't know the song, but it's lovely.
As always you've done a great job especially seen the challenges you encountered with it :cheer:

Bravo!
Corina.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic