Beatles Cover - Something

crieniecat

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Bill, I'm really impressed by the beautiful sounds you got out of that electric guitar!
I mean for being a rookie and then playing this beautiful?!

Wow!
Impressed....
Corina :woohoo:

BobR

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Bill,
Glad to see your PRS is doing so well. You did a great job. Nice to see you playing again :)

Bob

wrsomers

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you all...

Jay - I consider that the greatest compliment; that you have learned something from what I do, because that is what I try to do with every other guitarist I listen to.

Chris - Ha 60 years? I got ya beat, it took me 70 :-O

Corina - Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bob R. - Thank you my good friend. finally my electric guitar, PRS issues are behind me and I have one I really love. BTW, if you don't get to "Brown Eyed Girl" soon, you'll have to listen to me doing all the parts in my next busk. :-)

Craig - I took you out of order because I'd like to give you some info on what I learned about lead playing. First it's about learning the fret board and pentatonic scales and modes (mixolydian etc.). I have a long way to go in that regard but I'm beginning to understand how important that knowledge is. In addition I'm beginning to learn that you don't have to play all 6 strings or 5 strings like acoustic/rhythm players do. Sometimes you only need 1 or 2 and power chords.

Also bending, sliding and vibrato are so important. For example the opening lead in "Something" asks you to play on the 2nd string A, C, A, Bb, B, C but the second C is a pre bent note played on the 12th fret, but bent so it is really a C (which would actually be on the 13th fret) and then pulls off to the 10th fret (A). There is so much more and the foregoing is a very small part of it. I know I have a long way to go before I can play the solo to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" but I know I'll get there someday. Video Surgeon and many repetitions at slow speed will get me there. I hope this helps.

Bill

Edit...it is the first C that is pre-bent.

Craig

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for your answer Bill. I appreciate it. I've reluctantly begun working on the scales and modes hoping that will help my overall playing as well as looking at some electric stuff down the road. I'm really looking forward to watching your journey with your beautiful electric guitar! Please keep sharing.

Thanks,

Craig

MarkM

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:36 am

Wonderful job Bill!! You have some seriously beautiful guitars there. Great work on mixing your performances with the backing track. It was a pleasure to watch.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic