Going To California

sandysue

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Wow Daryl fixed your video Graig. Now I can see and hear you. Very nice guitar playing. You sound really good. You have a really pretty guitar with a nice mellow sound. You said that you also wanted to learn to play Fire and Rain. I learned it from Neil last year and it is so fun to play and sing. I love James Taylor. That one would be a great song for you and it doesn't really take all that long to learn. Thank you for posting your video. :)

Sandy

Craig

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Daryl - Thanks for watching! This is a tough one to sing for me, even in the shower!!

Chris - I still have a way to go one this one but it is satisfying in that I'm trying to "make it my own" which Neil encourages on the lesson and that's not easy for me. I just recorded it on my iPhone. It was very "spur of the moment" which is probably a bad idea in general!

Corina - Thank you. I'm definitely making it to a TG camp. I'm not sure I can pull it off this year but I haven't given up yet on it!

Buddy - I appreciate your comments. I'm glad the playing comes across as relaxed. My face always looks like I'm concentrating too hard! I'm trying to work on that too... along with everything else!

Sandy - Thank you for your support! As you probably know by now, I mostly enjoy fingerpicking type of stuff so this guitar is perfect for that. You've inspired me to revisit Fire & Rain!

Craig

TGNesh

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 pm

What a great job Craig and so nice to see you playing again!

Double Dropped D sounds fantastic and even more so on your gorgeous sounding/looking guitar. :)

I would have the same suggestions along the lines of what Dean said. Sustaining notes and such. You got the backbone of the droning bass down, so just a little bit of fine tuning on the higher strings and all will come out just fabulous!

Well done my friend! xo

Ness

Craig

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you Ness. As always, it means a lot coming from you! For some reason I rush to get to the next note when I don't have to and end up cutting it off... especially when the camera is rolling! :huh: I did another take in which I didn't cut off so many notes but ended up clanking notes somewhere else. It's always something somewhere! :laugh:

Thanks again,

Craig

davidrfinn99165

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 am

Hi Craig...thx for sharing. Some great tones there around the 5th and 7th frets.

I've been playing around with a couple of Ralph Mctell songs in Double Dropped D recently. Plus If I Were A Carpenter which plays pretty much as it is written in standard but with some nice chiming effects.

/ david

Craig

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks David! I will look into those songs while I'm in my Double Dropped D phase! I appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment.

Craig

michelew

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 am

Craig,

I really enjoyed that. It's mesmerizing. Some really nice colour in there. Rock steady bass.

It's already sounding great. It will only get better as you work on sustain and the other suggestions you've received.

Sorry I'm late to the party. It's always great to see what you're working on.

Shel

dekotaj

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 am

Craig wrote:
I've been playing around with double dropped D tuning and I found Neil's lesson on Going To California. He highly recommends to "make it your own". So, this is my attempt to make it my own. It's a work in progress and there are some bumps and bruises along the way but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Craig

Bravo Sir.

Thanks for sharing.What a joy to watch you play. Great work all around. More please.

Kev

Craig

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Shel & Kev,

Thanks for checking in and taking the time to comment. I always appreciate the support from you two!

Your TG Pal,

Craig

MarkM

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 am

Craig,

I forgot how sweet that guitar sounds. You played that song very well. Pretty soon you'll be doing it without even thinking about it. Nice job!!! It was a pleasure to watch.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic