Going To California

Craig

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:21 pm

I've been playing around with double dropped D tuning and I found Neil's lesson on Going To California. He highly recommends to "make it your own". So, this is my attempt to make it my own. It's a work in progress and there are some bumps and bruises along the way but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Craig

familyman4

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello Craig,

I am sorry to say that I really cannot hear your video very well. (Very faint) I tried everything to get the sound up, even my Bose headphones but no luck :( From what I could hear, it sounded really good!!!

Funny story about this lesson on TG. I had found TG and was exploring the idea of joining the "Target" program for a month or so, then Neil posted this lesson and I joined that day!!! So it is always easy for me to remember when I joined the program :) (However, I still haven't taken the time to work on this song, too many to choose from and too little time I guess)

Thanks for posting and if you have a way of increasing the volume on this recording & reposting, I would absolutely love to hear it better!

Bart

BobR

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Craig,

I thought that was really well done and I enjoyed it very much. Nice work in progress :)

The volume seemed to be OK for me, although I did need to turn it way up.

Thanks for the look

Bob

wrsomers

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi Craig,
A job well done. I particularly liked your steady bass and the tone of it. Using a bare thumb, especially in dropped tunings works very well. I also love to see your posts so I can see that beautiful Taylor Koa.

Bill

dtaylor

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Sounds nice Craig, lovely guitar by the way. With a bit of practice you'll iron out the choppiness, but there are only a few spots here and there where it's less than fluid, I'd concentrate on sustaining notes, as it stands out a lot when they get cut off. Good progress though, congrats.

Craig

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:36 am

Bart - Sorry you couldn't hear it better. I joined to learn "Fire and Rain" and still haven't learned that one!! Maybe I will repost after I can play it better.

Bob - Thanks for the support as always. I appreciate your comments.

Bill - Thank you for the kind words. Mid and low ranges sound really good with this guitar with a bare thumb. I have to force myself to use a pick occasionally just so I don't get too out of practice with it!

Dean - Thank you for taking the time to watch and comment. I tend to cut off notes when I'm focusing on trying to keep steady bass notes going. I'm aware when I'm doing it so it's definitely something I'm working on.

Thanks again,

Craig

daryl

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 am

Well done Craig! Rock steady bass notes. Like Dean said, practice will make this one perfect.
Now all you need to do is find someone to do the vocals for you.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 am

Great job Craig! I really like this one and your guitar sounds wonderful.... must be very satisfying playing it.
Volume is very low, yes. How are you recording? Its very easy with something like AVS Audio editor to strip the sound from the video, boost it and add it back in maybe with some reverb to get a very satisfying sound. I'll do that if my live sound isn't quite good enough, helps.

PS: A very suggestive title ;-)

crieniecat

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 am

Very nice Craig! You should consider coming to CA - TG Camp ;) B)

buddy

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 am

Nice work on this Craig and your playing was very relaxed. Don't know the song so can't give any technical suggestions. This is one of those songs that just needs to be played over and over again. Nice work, Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic