Busking The Blues - Open Mic Night 29 Nov 2018

spinland

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:26 am

Obligatory disclaimers: this was recorded via my phone sitting on the corner of the bar; the sound quality is accordingly crappy (though it excelled at picking up the conversations of others seated there). I lost it for the first verse of the second song (though I reprised it at the end to prove I did actually know it).

Enjoy!

[video type=youtube]UF-6CTaxA0k[/video]

TGMax

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Great stuff dude! Is that a PRS???

spinland

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

TGMax wrote:
Great stuff dude! Is that a PRS???
Thanks, Max!

No, it's a modified Gibson ES-339. I swapped out the pickups and tuners and added the Bigsby. The pickups have switches to select series, parallel, or either single coil for each humbucker. Playing both of them in parallel mode there.

familyman4

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Sorry, nothing showing up to see in this post?

spinland

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:39 pm

familyman4 wrote:
Sorry, nothing showing up to see in this post?
It's an embedded YouTube link. Here's the actual link:

https://youtu.be/UF-6CTaxA0k

daryl

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for the "live" videos. Bummer about the conversations at the bar but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to record the audio directly from the mike&amp or from the sound "system" (whatever it is the you are playing through). But, a word of advice......ALWAYS remember to check your tuning when you use a capo. :-(

BTW sweet looking guitar you have there.

spinland

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:41 am

daryl wrote:
Thanks for the "live" videos. Bummer about the conversations at the bar but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to record the audio directly from the mike&amp or from the sound "system" (whatever it is the you are playing through).
Yeah, everything into a phone sitting on the bar is less than ideal. My plan for the next attempt involves a GoPro on the little tripod the phone was on, and a Zoom recorder sitting near the house PA (A Bose L1 system with a mixer, no amp or effects) to capture the audio from close by. I have a lot of video editing tools and experience so merging them will be trivial. I first needed to learn what limitations I was up against before I decided what gear to obtain.
But, a word of advice......ALWAYS remember to check your tuning when you use a capo. :-(
:blush:
BTW sweet looking guitar you have there.
Thanks! It's my favorite, and the numerous mods I've done to it have been a labor of love. :side:

bradleyd

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am

Great job! Thanks for sharing!
I adore blues, and busking is a usual thing in this kind of music.

As for me, I am just learning how to play the guitar and harmonica, and not so brave to start busking for now. But practice makes perfect!
In my daily life, I work as a writer at UK EduBirdie, but my heart is full of music and I also try to write my own lyrics. Cheers from the UK!

spinland

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 am

Great post, and thanks for the share!

I feel I have such a long, long way to go but the journey is why I'm doing it. I consider myself very fortunate to have such a welcoming (and judgement-free) open mic venue available to me; every time I go up there I think I get a tiny bit better, and I always enjoy myself, so that's a win. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic