Can I Play Too???

BRBbrb

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 am

heyjoe wrote:
Brbbrb wrote
Neil must have met him at one time & had a bad experience! I remember when Stevie did a duo w/ TP "Stop Dragging My Heart Around"; he didn't even look at her - I thought he should be so privileged to be on stage w/ her.
Hey Barb, did you know that for a while in the 80's stevie nicks desperately wanted to be part of TP& the Heartbreakers, and that many of her hit songs were written by TP?

Joe
Yes; & she finally is now a "honorary heartbreaker" - don't know why she wants to be! BTW: what else did he write besides "Stop Dragging..."? Her & Hennelly wrote "Leather & Lace" about that same time period; think he broke her heart too. What fools these men were!

suziko

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am

So that's 22,000 dudes and 4 women

Hey, I'm alright with that ratio ;) Though I am glad to see that there are at least a couple other women here to cut the testosterone on this site a bit!

In all seriousness, I didn't even realize people HAD issues with Tom Petty. I'm not the president of his fan club or anything, but I never thought he inspired strong feelings pretty much either way in anyone. Does Neil dislike him because he did too much of a cross-over into the realm of pop music? Or, to those in the know, is he actually a sucky guitarist?

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:16 am

suziko wrote:
In all seriousness, I didn't even realize people HAD issues with Tom Petty. I'm not the president of his fan club or anything, but I never thought he inspired strong feelings pretty much either way in anyone. Does Neil dislike him because he did too much of a cross-over into the realm of pop music? Or, to those in the know, is he actually a sucky guitarist?
Not too sure what it is in all honesty. My GUESS is that it has something to do with a Bob Dylan story or something along those lines. There have been some references made to spats between Bob and Tom. Don't know the history there. Also I think Tom took some members from Bob's band and Bob made some of-hand remark about Tom being a wannabe Roger McGuinn or somebody like that. Not too sure who Roger McGuinn is...

Hopefully Neil will shed some light on this someday...hint, hint, hint

:huh:

suziko

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:29 am

Music Junkie wrote:

Also I think Tom took some members from Bob's band and Bob made some of-hand remark about Tom being a wannabe Roger McGuinn or somebody like that. Not too sure who Roger McGuinn is...

LOL, your entire explanation cracked me up. It all sounds so juvenile. But my favorite part was the "wannabe Roger McGuinn." I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't the foggiest notion as to who that is!

Well, hopefully Neil will come clean with us about his tangled emotions over Mr. Petty.

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:22 pm

suziko wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Also I think Tom took some members from Bob's band and Bob made some of-hand remark about Tom being a wannabe Roger McGuinn or somebody like that. Not too sure who Roger McGuinn is...

LOL, your entire explanation cracked me up. It all sounds so juvenile. But my favorite part was the "wannabe Roger McGuinn." I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't the foggiest notion as to who that is!

Well, hopefully Neil will come clean with us about his tangled emotions over Mr. Petty.
Yeah, me too. I am too curious now to let it go! I like Tom's tunes, as they were big in my early to late teen years, and they hold good memories for me. I saw him in concert once, and it was a great show. On a personal level, don't know much about him, so I have no comment there.

I guess Roger McGuinn was the lead singer and guitarist for The Byrds. Googled it and that is what came up.....

:)

suziko

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Music Junkie wrote:

Yeah, me too. I am too curious now to let it go! I like Tom's tunes, as they were big in my early to late teen years, and they hold good memories for me

Me too. Like I said, I'll never switch the dial on either American Girl or Runnin' Down a Dream!

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:27 pm

After watching a few youtube videos, it seems as though Roger and Tom were actually friends..... The plot thickens................LOL:laugh:

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm

suziko wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

Yeah, me too. I am too curious now to let it go! I like Tom's tunes, as they were big in my early to late teen years, and they hold good memories for me

Me too. Like I said, I'll never switch the dial on either American Girl or Runnin' Down a Dream!
I like a lot of his older stuff, like "Breakdown", "Love Is A Long Road", "A Woman In Love", "Face In The Crowd", "Yer So Bad", etc. His newest album had a good song called "Square One" as well. He also did a pretty good rendition of "Higher Place" on the Wildflowers album (can't remember off-hand who the original artist was). Also on that album was a great song called "Crawling Back To You".

Come on Neil, spill the beans man. You're killing me......LOL

:laugh:

suziko

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:38 pm

All solid songs! In fact, I used to play Yer So Bad over and over so much that I wore it out on the tape I owned (yes, that long ago). I still very much love that song. And American Girl was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar.

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:41 pm

suziko wrote:
All solid songs! In fact, I used to play Yer So Bad over and over so much that I wore it out on the tape I owned (yes, that long ago). I still very much love that song. And American Girl was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar.
I have a decent Chord chart for both "Yer So Bad" and "Face in the Crowd". Pretty simple songs with easy chords. Good "Campfire Songs".

:laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic