>Win a signed copy of Disney's "The Boys" on DVD with this competition- Disneys greatest songwriters

TGMatt

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Another super competition for you all to enter thx to Disney

Win a signed copy of The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story signed by co-directors and co-producers cousins Gregg and Jeff Sherman.

The competition rules are simple...It will run until Sunday at Midnight the 12/12/2010

Write a reply here, in this forum, that details what your favorite Sherman Brothers song and why , maybe "it's a small world", what about "supercalifragilisticexpealodocious" - probably spelt that wrong...

or ...

Film yourself playing a lick of your favorite Sherman brothers Disney tune and upload it using the TG busking section..

I will pick a winner (and weight them equally) at the end of the competition, and Disney will then ship that DVD to you directly...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each DVD includes a collectible replication of the original song sheet for Mary Poppins’ “Feed the Birds” November 30 marks the DVD debut of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment’s The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story, an intriguing documentary about Richard and Robert Sherman, the astoundingly prolific Academy Award®- winning (Mary Poppins, Best Original Song and Best Original Score, 1965) songwriting team.

Conceived, produced and directed by two of the songwriters’ sons, the feature-length documentary offers a fascinating and intimate look into the siblings’ relationship throughout much of their unparalleled professional partnership. It also takes audiences behind the scenes of the Hollywood magic factory and offers a rare glimpse of a unique creative process at work. Filmmakers and cousins Gregory V. Sherman and Jeffrey C. Sherman create a unique portrayal of their extremely gifted but very different artist fathers. They explore the brothers’ childhoods, marriages, early careers and close personal and professional relationship with pioneering filmmaker and studio chief Walt Disney.

During The Sherman Brothers' 13-year career at Disney (1960-1973), they received four Oscar® nominations for more than 200 songs written for 27 films and two dozen television productions. Their most beloved scores include Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the entire Winnie Their most beloved scores include Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the entire Winnie the Pooh series.

With such unforgettable tunes as “Chim Chim Cher-ee” such unforgettable tunes as “Chim Chim “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” from Mary Poppins, “I Wanna Be Like You” from The Jungle Book, and the most translated song ever written, “It’s a Small World (After All)” from the popular Disneyland attraction, to name just a few, brothers Bob Sherman and Dick Sherman celebrated family entertainment and happy endings for generations of movie goers, but their personal life together was anything but harmonious.

The film gives an enticing glimpse into how Walt Disney used the language of music to bring the brothers together, creating a cinematic legacy like no Each DVD is packaged with a replica of the original song sheet for “Tuppence A Bag,” later renamed “Feed the Birds.” This was the first song from Mary Poppins that the Sherman Brothers played for Walt Disney, which became his favorite. With exciting bonus features, including candid accounts from Disney legends Angela Lansbury, Dick Van Dyke, John Lasseter, Randy Newman, Alan Menken, the late Roy E. Disney, and others, The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story is a fascinating portrait of two immensely talented men who continue to enrich lives with their creativity.

[video type=youtube]FOQr7fYME34[/video]

. Image

TGMatt

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Forgot to mention this copy is signed by director and acclaimed Disney producer Don Hahn (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

TGNeil

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:34 pm

The Sherman Brothers had a way of crafting very infectious songs (can you say Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious?- spell check anybody?). I even just recently came across my original book of songs from Mary Poppins, and you'd think I could find it now to check the spelling...

Neil

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks

Moondog

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 pm

I would have to say that my favorite Sherman Brothers song is "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". As a child I would drive my parents crazy singing that song over and over. I would call our car Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and sing it when we went places in it. I think its my folks that deserve a prize for not killing me. It wasn't until I became a parent myself that I could appreciate the depth of the patience they had.

Moondog

thereshopeyet

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks

TGMatt

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Thx for the entries on this one..

Any more last call chip in ..write a paragraph ..that easy..

If we get some activity we will be able to get more opportunities around music releases from Disney and there subsidiaries and this is a good thing, so take a moment and enter this easy to win competition. (the last few dvd releases included a U2 doco , the stones doco and a grateful dead thing)

Thx for the support

willem

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 pm

I do have memories on Mary Popkins,,,never understand see could fly,,and man that word,,not goin to break my lips but it's defiant.. we alway's loved watching the movie on the telly..

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 am

Oh, man! Does this bring back memories. I was very young when I saw Mary Poppins for the first time. Our family lived in a small town in western Ohio and we didn’t have much money. The merchants in town would give away free kids Saturday matinee tickets to parents in order to entice them to come downtown to shop on the weekend. They could drop the kids off at the theater and know that they would be occupied for a couple of hours while they got all their shopping done. Mary Poppins may be the first movie that I remember going to see in a theater (the only theater in town). My Mom was very frugal, and she knew how to stretch her pennies. She would save all her shopping for Saturday so that my brothers and I could get in to see a movie for free. Otherwise, there was never any money left for tickets. I could really relate to Bert (Dick Van Dyke) the chimney sweep. We didn’t have much, but I always thought we were the richest people on earth. So, my favorite Sherman Brothers’ tune would have to be Chim Chim Cher-ee. We grew up watching “The Wonderful World of Disney” on Sunday evenings, and it was always a treat to watch a full length Disney movie in the theater.

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 am

You know something . . . . . I think my second favorite Sherman Brothers’ song came from Mary Poppins, too. Back in Ohio once again, we had doctors that made house calls. The one that came to our house when we were sick was nice enough, but he always gave us the worst tasting medicine, and Mom would give me a little bit of sugar “to help the medicine go down”. So, my second favorite Sherman Brothers’ song would have to be A Spoonful of Sugar.

Delightful!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic