>> Win a copy of Fantasia & Fantasia 2000: 2-Movie Collection Special Edition On 4-Disc Blu-ray™

TGMatt

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Win a copy of Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 2-Movie Collection Special Edition On 4-Disc Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.

How ?

Competition runs till 12/12/2012

Simply tell us here what Fantasia means to you (no right answers here )

I will pick a winner in a bit over a week and Disney will ship DVD to you..

Answers here..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 2-Movie Collection Special Edition On 4-Disc Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. the magical, animated musical masterpiece and the contemporary classic inspired by it -- debut in highly anticipated Blu-ray High Definition and DVD 2-Movie Collection Special Editions on November 30.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is opening the Disney vault to be able to present these two films that broke the boundaries of
imagination in the highest quality possible. The Fantasia and Fantasia 2000: 2-Movie Collection Special Edition will be available in a 4-disc Blu-ray Combo Pack ($45.99 SRP) and a 2-Disc DVD ($39.99 SRP) for a very limited time only. The Blu-ray transformation of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 will
reveal the magic, music and majesty of both films as never before experienced, with state-of-the-art picture restoration of the original Fantasia and pristine 7.1 Digital Theater System Hi-Def Surround Sound. The Blu-ray combo pack is a tremendous value featuring, in addition to the two films in two different formats, a wealth of bonus features.

Among those Blu-ray special features is the highly requested Academy Award® nominated short Destino. Available for the first time ever on Blu-ray, the seven minute film is the result of a unique collaboration between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali begun in 1946, but put on hold due to studio
financial concerns. In 2003, Roy E. Disney worked with a team of modern day animators to complete the film as a tribute to Walt’s pioneering artistic vision.

Accompanying the highly anticipated short is an all-new feature length documentary entitled “Dali & Disney: A Date With Destino,” which explores the origins of the relationship between Disney and Dali, their collaboration on Destino, and ultimately how the film came to fruition so many years after its Fantasia, an unprecedented and magnificent feast of music and animated images, was initially released by the Studio in 1940 as a “road show” release. The following year, at the 14th Annual Academy Awards, Fantasia earned two Special Awards. The first was given to Walt Disney and
associates for their outstanding contribution to the advancement of the use of sound in motion pictures, being the first commercial film released in multi-channel sound using a process called Fantasound, and the second to conductor Leopold Stokowski and his associates “for…unique achievement in the creation of a new form of visualized music…thereby widening the scope of the motion picture as entertainment and as an art form.”

Considered avant-garde during its time, Fantasia has gone on to become one of the most popular movies of all time and today is considered a classic. In 1990, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” conducted by Stokowski, this groundbreaking film, which consists of animation set to eight musical pieces, is narrated by Deems Taylor and includes an appearance by Mickey Mouse Featuring the Philadelphia Orchestra, Equally impressive is Fantasia 2000, the awe-inspiring extravaganza of sight and sound, executive produced by the late Roy E. Disney. Featuring an array of celebrity hosts including
Steve Martin, Bette Midler, James Earl Jones, Penn and Teller, Angela Lansbury, Itzhak Perlman and Quincy Jones, the film, like its predecessor, expertly visualizes classical music compositions with various forms of animation and live-action introductions. Fantasia 2000 is primarily performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and conducted by James Levin.

Synopsis: The dreams and visions of Walt Disney come to life in Fantasia, which blends music and film magic into an exhilarating movie-going experience. Unforgettable images are brought to life by some of the world’s best music, and highlighted by the comedy of Mickey Mouse as a troublemaking sorcerer’s apprentice, along with the beauty of winged fairies and cascading snowflakes, the majesty of Noah’s ark and even plump hippos performing ballet in Motivated by his uncle’s foresight, Roy Disney continued the magic with Fantasia 2000 which begins where its predecessor left off. There are seven completely new segments, and viewers watch a bustling Depression-era metropolis in the style of Al Hirschfeld’s famous cartoons, a flock of flamingos with slapstick yo-yo talents, an ark full of animals gathered by Donald Duck as Noah’s first mate, and musical life breathed into a family of flying humpback whales.

Fantasia DVD Bonus Features:

New Audio Commentary with Disney historian Brian Sibley

Disney Family Museum (running time: approx. 5 minutes) – Walt’s daughter Diane Disney-Miller takes viewers on a tour of the new Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, California featuring a very large exhibit on Fantasia and most importantly, the Schultheis notebook with long lost Fantasia
production notes found in more recent years in the walls of a convent.

Fantasia Blu-ray Bonus Features:

Disney View – This viewing mode maximizes the Blu-ray viewing experience with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. Original artwork created by a Disney artist, in a style that complements the beauty of the film.

The Shultheis Notebook: A Disney Treasure (running time: approx. 14 minutes) –An in depth look at the recently discovered Schultheis Notebook. The detailed log was created by Herman Schultheis, an effects man on Fantasia, and intricately breaks down the film from a technical view. Many of the special effects used in Fantasia were a mystery to modern day animators until this notebook was
recovered.

Interactive Art Gallery and Screensavers – Viewers can explore the artwork of Fantasia as never before, in HD resolution with unique Blu-ray interactivity and programming.

Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection With executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, animation historian
John Canemaker, and Scott McQueen, manager of film restoration. Audio commentary with interviews and story note recreations by Walt Disney, hosted by John Canemaker.

Fantasia 2000 DVD Bonus Features:

Musicana – Walt’s Inspiration for a Sequel (running time: approx. 10 minutes) – This documentary reveals rarely-seen art created for Musicana, a late 1970’s project intended as a Fantasia sequel with a focus on exploring other cultures via their greatest musical compositions. Viewers are offered a look at the origins of pieces that were started by Walt, such as “The Emperor and the Nightingale” which was then taken over by a very young John Lasseter. Ultimately, Musicana was stopped to begin production on “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” but the memories of this piece still live on
with the animators who conceived it.

Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray Bonus Features:

Dali & Disney: A Date With Destino (running time: 82 minutes) – This feature length documentary explores the collaborative relationship between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali, revealing how and why the Destino short came to fruition under the lead of Roy E. Disney in 2003 so many years after
its inception in 1946.

Destino (running time: approx. 7 minutes) – The legacy of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali lives on in this highly anticipated short film.

Disney’s Virtual Vault -- BD-Live Feature

Original DVD Bonus Features from Legacy Collection

Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection (total running time: 84 minutes)

With executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, and producer Don Ernst.

Audio commentary with the directors and art directors for each segment.

TGNeil

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

I certainly remember as a kid being fascinated with Mickey and the relentless broom as he was the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I am sure that some of my appreciation for classical music comes from this movie. I have always been attracted to Russian composers and this was probably started by A Night On Bald Mountain, by Mussorgsky. It seemed all the cooler when a few years later I heard Emerson, Lake & Palmer come out with Pictures At An Exhibition.

I guess in a way Disney can be blamed for my interest in progressive rock, of which an obviously important element is the incorporation of classical techniques and themes.

Neil

Moondog

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:37 pm

As a kid the movie Fantasia left me kinda bitter. It was a real sore spot with me........ I was very excited to be going to see it with my family, but unfortunately I didn't get to see it. I got myself in trouble before the movie so I had to have a babysitter and stay home. My brothers and sister really rubbed it in that I missed it. I heard how great it was and how much I would have like it. I finaly did get to see it though, 20 some years later.

Moondog

TGMatt

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Thx for the entries on this one..

Any more last call chip in ..write a paragraph ..that easy..

If we get some activity we will be able to get more opportunities around music releases from Disney and there subsidiaries and this is a good thing, so take a moment and enter this easy to win competition. (the last few dvd releases included a U2 doco , the stones doco and a grateful dead thing)

Thx for the support

juanlla

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Fantasia was one of the movies the my mom took me to see. At that early age, I only remember a few scenes but was not able to enjoy it.

A couple of years ago I got a copy and I've seen it a dozen times, now with my three kids. I always enjoy the beauty of this art piece and although my kids somehow have fun with some of the scenes, the don`t really understand it completely. But I expect that when they find this film again once they have their own kids, they will smile and remember when we saw it together.

Juan

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks

tom18

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:28 am

My mother took me to see this film when I was very young and I remember being rather freaked out by the scene of Mickey Mouse being chased by the brooms in the 'Sorcerers Apprentice' scene. I also remember thinking that the dancing Hippopotamuses in the 'Dance of the Hours' was somewhat absurd. Apparently by age 5 or so I had a clear view in my mind that a Hippo couldn't (or shouldn't) dance. I remember being riveted but unafraid during the 'Night on Bare Mountain' despite the dark imagery. Perhaps the resolution of the night scene with 'Ave Maria' put me at ease.
I didn't see 'Fantasia' again for many years until one of my first dates with Marcia (we later married) when we were both in college. It was a double feature show and the second film was the Beatle's 'Yellow Submarine.' Quite a feast of music and animation in one evening. With the exception of short excerpts, I don't think I've seen 'Fantasia' since but I have pretty vivid memories of those two viewing and the women I was with.
Tom

willem

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 pm

When i read the responses i have vague memories on classical music and all kinds of movements by annimal's.

So great all the disney animations movies..

michelew

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:28 pm

I haven't seen the 2000 version. But like most people, the scenes from the original that have stuck with me the most are those with Mickey as the apprentice and those enchanted brooms. I can't hear the wonderful music without thinking of that scene either. I'd love to know just how many movies have borrowed the idea (or given it a nod) since. There was a great scene in the Magician's apprentice that used the idea very recently.

Great music, fun images.

Michele

drfuji

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 pm

:) Been a very long time since I have seen this movie....but the thing that it means the most to me..is that my grandaughter would give a really big kiss if I won this for her..and there is absolutely nothing better than that...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic