>> Help needed here - If and when we ran another competition ?

TGMatt

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:59 pm

What would be a truly amazing set of prizes...??

What would you think would be a great entry type ?...Video ?...what ??

Now what would you do to help promote it assuming we came up with a brilliant prize list ?

How can we involve everyone free and Target members to be engaged, pass it along so that it attracts new folk here and make it truly successful for everyone involved?

So that would mean

(1) maybe several different prizes and prize levels?
(2) more than one way to enter including some simpler ways for simpler prizes ?
(3) rewards for passing this out into the universe more so we can promote TG ?
(4) Fun and interesting for everyone to be engaged in
(5) How do we choose the winners ?..
(6) how long do we run it for ?

What ??

Lets here all the ideas, outlandish or not...No limits !

Open to everything...but it must also help TG to grow...

Thx for all your suggestions

willem

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:45 pm

OkE

1. the prizes must be good,,maybe 1.ipad..2. boss micro br..3.set stereo mikes 4.????? a free subscribsion for a year on the TARGET.

2.oke the entry must be guitar playing,,enjoymend fun,,maybe a theme,,you can add prizes to the level it is and trying to make a good video sound,,so unplugged as possible

3. well i tryed before and can use inlandisch social media as well,,or go the a news paper or music store..BUT CAN YOU GIVE SOME MATERIAL...

4.we can try to encourage everybody that follows the forum in reading,,when i look to some numbers in viewings there are more readers then contributers.

5.voting by everybody is the most normal, but make a pannel that make comment on the entry so the voter as some more then only his own view.

6.well,,we have also other things on our mind,,lets say 3 month's or longer

7. THINKING,THINKING,,THINKING, MAYBE A ENTRY WHERE WE FOLLOW NEILS LESSON,,SO NEIL IS INVOLVED AND PRACTICING,,,LIKE A FLY ON THE WALL,, AND ON THE END WE CAN PLAY THE THING..

ps Advertising is a job apart,,maybe talk with people that are very creative,,

ffsooo3

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Here are 3 outlandish? competition ideas:

- Write (and perform on video) an original INSTRUMENTAL song (must be an original of your own making)
- Write (and perform on video) an original song with lyrics (must have someone sing it)
- Blues soloing in A? TG gives a choice of 3 or 4 jamtracks to play against.
- Who has the best interpretation of a song. TG offers 3 or 4 songs to play. Player chooses one.
- Perform a song from the 1940s
- Perform a song from the 1950s
- Perform a song from the...never mind, you get the idea! :)

Prizes ideas:
- Guitar strings (5 sets?)
- Condenser microphone & stand
- Video camera
- Headphones
- Acoustic guitar
- Harmonica (for the blues competition)

willem

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Maby a entry were you do a open mic or a indoor mic with friends or family and tell a bit from TG..

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:03 pm

A good prize IMHO would be a complete video/audio recording kit for the home guitarist. Now there are a few guys here who really seem to know about this so they might like to chip in with the 'What is good gear'.

Another idea might be an opportunity to attend a 'Live show' of Neil's with accompanying accommodation/meals/fares package.

On a similar theme, might be Neil comes to your place for a set of one on one lessons.

An opportunity to perform with Neil, at a mic night or similar event.

The winner gets to professionally record their entry at a studio.

Other more obvious ideas, free TG for a pre-determined time, Top quality guitar, Free strings for life or predetermined period.

The competition has to be based on TARGET content, whether it be an open mic or just a home recording. Emphasis on guitar playing; collaborations can't be included, (too difficult to split prizes fairly) doesn't need to have vocals (this is a guitar site after all) and some guys here just can't sing (me included). I would steer away from original content as this does not support TG as obviously, I do understand that you can use what you learn here with other material, but the idea is also to promote the site and prospective members really need to see/hear what is available on the actual site. Totally independent judging, polls are no good as we do have cliques on the site which might be biased towards any particular member. Maybe have a top guitarist guest judge e.g. Al Stewart, Laurence Juber, Muriel Anderson...

Lavallee

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 pm

As the others have mentioned, it has to be musical. It needs to be feasible by all level of players. The music should be from a lesson given from TG (whether from the free of the Target section) .

The last competition was great , i see nothing wrong in using a similar format. The theme should be TG related. The idea being to give more exposure to TG.

As far as the prizes, the focus should be given to cameras and recording devices as this will bring more people to upload videos on TG.

If someone already have a camera or recording system, there could be alternative prizes.

Maybe have more than 1 group. Beginners/ Singer, Beginners / instrumental. intermediary/singer, intermediary/instrumental, advanced

Maybe a larger prize for a collaboration, specific prizes for people that have been on the site (free or Target) for a while and have never posted a video.

3 months is a good time frame as Willem said

A direct mail from you and Neil E-Mail asking to participate and requesting an answer might encourage people to participate. A follow up list could be distributed to TG volunteers to resend a motivation E-Mail.I think there would be more involvement if everybody would submit their project.

Criterias have to be established as to what is important to achieve. Per example, a given technique that Neil has explained in one of the lesson could be outlined as the reason for the song selection. Or explain what the selected song has helped improve

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm thinking the same way as Daryl... competition for original self composed or collaborated song.

I would set a limit of 60 days for competitions; not too long to wait for results but long enough to get good level of involvement.

Prizes? We all love gear:
Boss Micro
Ipad
First class microphone
Roland 60C Amp
Top Guitar
Year membership of Target

I'd like to suggest a beginners comp and an intermediate comp but have no idea how you could say someone is a beginner and not a ringer gung-ho on taking the prize! Maybe have a category for Target members and for non-target members.

Edit: Can I suggest that folks just make positive suggestions about what they think could work instead of say what should NOT be done... that would be against the guidelines of an open brain-storming which are basically: make any suggestion you think good but don't judge it too much and don't negate other's suggestions.

TGMatt

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Good start folk...

No one yet has addressed the idea of how to get new people to discover TG as a result of the competition...

And so far no-one has created a bold as brass prize..

what about a car ??..

Or a Classic 40's Martin ??..

What else ?

Keep the ideas coming

AndyT

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:11 pm

How about an all expenses paid trip for two, and a guitar, to Los Gatos for one week of One-on-One lessons from Neil? Open to any member. Must submit a Video entry of original music.

Team with a major online music store (Zzounds, Musician's Friend...) for a really nice prize. A home studio recording setup. Make it worth about $5 grand. Get the e-tailer to promote it on their site also. I see them do stuff like this fairly often. You would be getting thousands of new visitors to TG that way.

Have a once a month Secret Giveaway where you choose one ACTIVE member and give them a Micro BR or something along those lines. Randomly draw the winner from active posters in the forum.

AndyT

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 pm

The trip to Los Gatos should also include a guest shot on a TG show. TG Live preferrably.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic