The Flying Burrito Brothers - Wheels

TGNeil

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Gang,

Our second Listening Challenge should be pretty easy for those who have played some basic country rock songs. The Flying Burrito Brothers grew out of the budding country rock scene in Southern California in the late 1960s. Bands like The Buffalo Springfield and The Byrds paved the way for the next incarnation. The kingpins behind the start of the band were ex-Byrds members Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman. Wheels is from their debut album The Gilded Palace Of Sin. I was introduced to the band, and the song when my teen-age musical partner, Mike Mullins and I were recruited to play with a band in Santa Cruz. The rest of them were students at the University of California there but they were happy to be fronted by a couple acoustic guitar players, even though we were still in high school. It got me listening to a little more contemporary stuff than most of my friends were at the time, among a few other things probably not worth mentioning...

I don't have many specific questions for you but see if you can figure out the chord progressions, and whether there are any chords out of the key. Remember to PM me your answers or solutions but feel free to leave and other comments or questions here.

For more on Gram Parsons check Steve Rose's Listening Post blog on him. And enjoy a somewhat dated video.

Neil