Sweet Thursday - Dealer

TGNeil

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Hey, it's been a while since our last challenge. Here is what might be a real obscurity for most of the TG Community. Sweet Thursday was a short-lived British band in 1969, which included a few people you might know from later bands and recordings, Nicky Hopkins, Alun Davies, and Jon Mark, who went on a year later to play with John Mayall, where he met Johnny Almond and they formed Mark-Almond.

Dealer is a bit of an FM underground album track that I recently heard on internet station 3wk. I thought it would be a good way to get back into this thread. The challenge here is to figure out the progression but there are a couple ways you might go about this, depending on your level of ear training. You could start with the key, figure out the likely chords, and go with the usual approach. A bigger challenge would be to do this without a guitar, or any pitch reference, and see if you can hear it by numbers without knowing the key. You might also be able to tell what key it is anyway by the characteristics of the opening chord.

In any case, please PM me your suspicions but feel free to post questions or comments here. It may seem pretty simple and repetitive but listen closely to the whole thing.

Neil