Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life

TGNeil

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi Gang,

Craig brought this song up on last week's News thread as one I have toyed with a solo version of. I thought we could start with the ear training approach as the progression is very basic and should be easy to figure out. How many different sections do you hear and can you identify all the chords? PM me with your answers and soon I will either do a lesson on it or make it a project for those who would like to tackle a solo arrangement. What might some of the obstacles or considerations that might arise with combining the melody with the progression?

Neil

Craig

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 am

Awesome Neil!

Thank you so much! I need a project to keep me out of trouble!

Thanks again,

Craig

TGNeil

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks for the responses and I am glad to see some of you are on top of this. The progression is pretty basic and once that is clear the next step is figure out the melody. There is a lot of room for variations here, it does not have to be exactly what was sung as long as it follows the general shape. Here is a video with Dean Ford (the original singer and co-author) singing it 45 years later (2014). He has to alter the melody but it is still very powerful. More thoughts on this soon.

Neil

TGNeil

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:12 am

Just wondering how anybody is doing with this. I might be able to do a lesson on it next week if there is interest.

Neil

Craig

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm definitely interested!

I've been trying to incorporate the melody notes with the chords on my own after watching your last discussion on this with limited success at best.

Thanks,

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic