I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better...Needles And Pins

TGNeil

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:08 pm

An interesting coincidence crossed the path here with students lately. Larry, our IGC video guy wanted to work on I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better, by Gene Clark from the first Byrds album. After reading up on it a bit we found that he wrote an opening riff based on The Searchers' hit Needles And Pins, which is blatantly obvious after listening to the two. Needles And Pins was written By Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono but first recorded by Jackie DeShannon.

The next week Fred (Fly On The Wall regular) came in asking about Needles And Pins and we spent most of the lesson treating it as an ear training exercise, which reminded me that I have neglected this thread for too long.

So here is the challenge for everybody: Listen to both songs and let me know what you hear, as far as the keys, chords in the progressions, any chords outside the key, key changes, the opening riff, etc.

As in the past, please PM me your thoughts rather than posting here for a week or two and I may talk about them on the News later this week, or next, or maybe even do full lessons on them if there seems to be some interest.

Neil