The TG 3-Minute 30-Day Challenge

taylor914

Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:06 am

Played this morning. Continued work on Deep River Blues.

Gubben

Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:51 am

Gertrude Stein said "Loving is repeating". I'm working on "James" which has an impossible hinge chord, and forced me to rely on a strategy that involves using all four fingers and playing the melody note on the first string. But it's getting there slowly. Really, one time through and I've hit the day's quota, but then it leads to a few repetitions. I also go back to the the Dave van Ronk piece Gaslight Rag. That was an eye-opener. Antelope Rag would also be nice to learn.

abasile60

Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 pm

Reading about this 3-minute routine has prompted me to share one of the most effective habits I've developed for frequent practicing - I leave a guitar out in whatever room I spend most of my time in or, better yet, leave one in multiple rooms if possible. For true madness, leave them lounging around in different tunings.

This habit can't work for everyone's situation and conventional wisdom is to always store guitars in their proper cases. Many good reasons for that but the guitar that I leave on a stand or on a wall hook just steps away is the one that I pick up whenever I have a few spare minutes to indulge.

krickmann

Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:12 am

Hi,
I appreciate the challenge however my issue is more with structuring how my practice will look and how to develop it into a overall framework for progressing. I think that I need something like, 15 minutes on fretboard mastery, 15 minutes working on new song, 15 minutes on maintenance songs, etc. Any thoughts on developing a working practice for a beginner-intermediate player would be welcomed!
Thanks!

juval2112

Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:29 pm

Hello
I was lucky enough for my name to be selected out of all those who took part in the 30 day challenge, to win a lesson with Neil. We had a Zoom lesson yesterday. It was great fun.
I have to admit I was very very nervous, my fingers didn’t work properly and my head suddenly was empty. Neil was very kind and patient with me with his customary good humour and we had what was for me a very pleasant and interesting hour despite my appearing to be a complete imbecile.
We started off just chatting about music and my favourite guitar players. I’d told Neil in an email that I’d love to play Normal by Porcupine Tree. He’d had a listen and showed me the basics of how to play it. Later he even sent me some tab he’d worked out. Amazing!
Neil introduced the topic of keys, especially using the I, IV and V chords. He also touched on modes. This also led to some advice (practical and theoretical) on ear training.
During this conversation I touched on my love of Jethro Tull and for some reason started to play We Used to Know. This triggered a discussion of timing - one of my many weak points. That was very useful.
All in all it was a great experience for me. It wouldn’t surprise me to want to have another lesson or two in the future. Hopefully I’d be more relaxed then.
If anyone reading this has the opportunity to have a lesson with Neil I would highly recommend you do so.
Thanks again Neil
Cheers
Julian

TGNeil

Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm

Hey Julian,

Thanks for the post and review. I had a great time working with you as well, and I felt like we got a lot accomplished in a short time. Hopefully there is enough there to work on for the time being and I'd be happy to see you again.

Neil

P.S. It was an interesting coincidence that we talked about a few songs by three different bands historically tied to your location on the Isle Of Wight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic