Our Third 3-Minute 30-Day Challenge Is On For May!

TGNeil

Fri May 03, 2024 6:45 pm

Hey Gang,

We had so much fun with our second 3-Minute 30-Day Challenges that we are firing up our third.

To recap – The goal is to pick up your guitar every day for 30 days, but just commit to 3 minutes a day. Of course, more is fine and encouraged. This 30 days commence on Saturday May 4, 2024 and will end on Sunday June 2. It is open to everyone with an account at TotallyGuitars. There will be prizes awarded along the way, along with a grand prize randomly drawn from all entries.

We ask that you submit your weekly days and minutes over the weekend following each week (Sat-Fri). Please post before midnight each Sunday night. The last two days (Sat-Sun June 1-2) should be included with Week #4 and posted by Tuesday June 4. You will receive 1 entry toward the grand prize for every day you pick up the guitar (maximum is 30). The drawing for the grand prize will be on Friday, June 7.

The grand prize, and there may be more than one awarded, will be a private lesson with me. This could be at TG Central or online. Other incremental prizes may be added, like for most minutes in a week, and could include a lesson pack, Platinum subscription for a month, audio album downloads, guitar strings, maybe your choice of Doors #1-3, one of which may have a car, another a goat...!

For your weekly report, please copy the text at the end of this message, fill in your data, and add your post to a new thread that I will start each week.. We will check the thread every Monday and keep track of your entries toward the grand prize, as well as our weekly prizes.

I hope everybody commits and plays every day..

Neil

Username:
Week Ending: Friday May 10

Saturday May 4:
Sunday May 5:
Monday May 6:
Tuesday May 7:
Wednesday May 8:
Thursday May 9:
Friday May 10:

Total Days:
Total Minutes:

Kevin Fallon

Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am

Total Days: All of 'em: 7. Yeah really
Total Minutes: Somewhere around an hour. Like alien abduction, I lose track of the exact time. Neil's suggestion of putting the guitar in a readily available place is one I practice diligently. There are currently guitars in three locations of my house. Lately I have been beating my brains out trying to get the arpeggiated intro to the Ten Years After classic "I'd Love to Change the World. Good times.

Catch you next week.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Fallon on Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljsmithjr

Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 pm

May 4: 30 minute lesson working on Friend of the Devil
Ma y 5: 1 hour practice = Friend of the Devil, G petatonic scale, singing Friend of the Devil, practicing flat picking

Randy McCracken

Fri May 10, 2024 1:05 pm

Username: Randy McCracken

Saturday May 4: 2 hours, learning James Taylor "Instrumental 2" working on Tommy Emmanuel's "Lewis & Clark," and "It's Never Too Late.," and Neil's instrumental version of "Bus Stop."
Sunday May 5: 2 hours--working on the above songs and playing other songs in my repertoire (various songs by James Taylor, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, etc.
Monday May 6: 2 hours Same as above. Also running through various songs I've picked up on Totally Guitars lately like Can You Feel the Love Tonight, and various easier strumming songs like San Francisco, Most of Us Are Sad, Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin'.
Tuesday May 7: 2 hours, a mixture of the above, plus attempting to stay fresh on older songs I've learned
Wednesday May 8: 2 hours, same as above
Thursday May 9: 2 hours, same as above
Friday May 10: 2 hours, same as above

Total Days: 7
Total Minutes: 14 hours

KeithAllaun

Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 pm

Well done early starters! You've gotten a head start on the crowd...! I'm joining the 3 Minute Challenge with my guitar within arms reach of my office chair and computer...so I'm picking it up regularly. And playing it. I try to play it for a few minutes a few times a day. And I don't keep track of the time. But it adds up!

So...the point is to pick it up and play it. Let's do it!

Great song, Michael! :-)

Keith

vzg14

Fri May 10, 2024 11:27 pm

Okay, starting off the challenge a little slow, but since I've got an event at the end of June that I need to practice for, this challenge will only help to keep me on track. I hope to do better in the upcoming weeks.

Username: vzg14

Saturday May 4: 120 mins
Sunday May 5: 60
Monday May 6: 45
Tuesday May 7: zero
Wednesday May 8: zero
Thursday May 9: 30
Friday May 10: 60

Total Days: 5
Total Minutes: 315 mins

My focus this month and next is on three songs that I have to have mostly instrumental arrangements for by the end of June. Songs are:

1) Can't Help Falling in Love - Kina Grannis rendition
2) Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
3) Both Sides Now - Grobin/Bareilles duet rendition (singing and playing)

Good luck to all in the challenge and a "shout out" to all of my fellow IGC Campers!!!

Lastly, Congrats Grandpa Neil, Grandma Nani and the entire Hogan Ohana that grew a little bigger this past week.

-Victor G

Pmorrisduke

Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 am

Username: pmorrisduke

Saturday May 4: 1/2 hour: Alt picking with metronome.
Sunday May 5: Finger picking exercises 15 minutes
Monday May 6: Finger picking exercises 15 minutes. Alt picking exercises 15 minutes
Tuesday May 7: Singing practice to melody finger picking. 1/2 hour
Wednesday May 8: Practice Mass songs 1/2 hour
Thursday May 9: 1/2 hour: Alt picking with metronome.
Friday May 10: 1/2 hour: Alt picking with metronome.
Total days: 7
Total minutes: 195

juval2112

Sat May 11, 2024 7:24 am

Username: juval2112
Week ending: Friday May 10

Saturday May 4: 70 mins
Sunday May 5: 70 mins
Monday May 6: 45 mins
Tuesday May 7: 55 mins
Wednesday May 8: 60 mins
Thursday May 9: 60 mins
Friday May 10: 60 mins

Total days: 7
Total mins: 420

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Olesia in support. Many years ago I bought one of Neil’s’ DVD’s called The Complete Country Blues. I promptly put it away and completely forgot about it. I rediscovered it a few weeks ago but could no longer access the Tab. I emailed support and Olesia managed to find all the tabs for me. Thanks again Olesia

ncrump93

Sat May 11, 2024 9:01 am

Username: ncrump93 (Neil Crump)
Week Ending May 4:

Saturday: 10
Sunday: 7
Monday: 15
Tuesday: 20
Wednesday: 5
Thursday: 15
Friday: 10

Total Days: 7