Are we kidding ourselves?

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:42 pm

@tovo: thanks for you input, I am enjoying hearing others thoughts on this. Like I said, just feeling sorry for myself today!

tovo

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey I know how that feel Barb...it's Monday morning in my neck of the woods and off to work...REALLY feeling sorry for myself! ;)

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:59 pm

I feel sorry for you too :dry:

haoli25

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Many of us at TG have recommitted to playing the guitar after years devoted to building families, careers, businesses, etc. If you are able to learn a few songs on here and are able to entertain yourself, friends, and family, you are doing great!! You might want to see where the child prodigy is in a few years and a few more miles down the road of life.:)

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:01 pm

I think you have all backwards bro. We all progress and play at our own level. Some people are blessed with more talent than others. People like me had to swet bullets while practicing just to be as good as;) I am. Your son is the exception to the rule. He has God given talent. If he has the drive and the passion than he can become a great guitarist. While the vast majority of us plod along. Your goal should ONLY be to be as efficient as a guitarist as your talents and commitment to quality practice can produce. No we are not kidding ourselves, If you enjoy playing guitar and it bring you joy, then it is ALL worth it. As for me my love and passion is guitar playing. It is my relaxation, and fun time of my day. I have a full time job and 6 kids so I know what time commitment is all about. Keep playing bro, you wont regret it.

PG56

Lavallee

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm

I have 3 kids of my own and they learn faster than I. However I came to think that when I was their age I was learning pretty fast as well. Nowadays and for many years now I have other stuff in my mind and guitar is a hobby. For many kids it is a much larger portion because it gives them something to be proud of themselves and get social recognition. They talk about their playing with their friends, they learn in school or the evening practice, they have their Ipod in their ears all day listening to the music they play. This is the best way to learn a new language: focus.

I think that if you feel sorry, there migth be a hint of competition which I know for sure is not intended. When you raise your kids you are always an example for them, give advice,tell them what to do. Now they are getting better than you at something. It is a heck of a motivation for them. If they beat me at something, I do not seem to hear the end of it, but I am happy for them (but I tell them they do not beat me so they keep proving it ;) ). I hope they will be better than me on everything and become a better person than me. This is evolution.

Marc

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Many of us at TG have recommitted to playing the guitar after years devoted to building families, careers, businesses, etc. If you are able to learn a few songs on here and are able to entertain yourself, friends, and family, you are doing great!! You might want to see where the child prodigy is in a few years and a few more miles down the road of life.:)

Bill Image
He does want to pursue music as a career, so we'll see! He does one-man shows now.

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Paulguitar56 wrote:
I think you have all backwards bro. We all progress and play at our own level. Some people are blessed with more talent than others. People like me had to swet bullets while practicing just to be as good as;) I am. Your son is the exception to the rule. He has God given talent. If he has the drive and the passion than he can become a great guitarist. While the vast majority of us plod along. Your goal should ONLY be to be as efficient as a guitarist as your talents and commitment to quality practice can produce. No we are not kidding ourselves, If you enjoy playing guitar and it bring you joy, then it is ALL worth it. As for me my love and passion is guitar playing. It is my relaxation, and fun time of my day. I have a full time job and 6 kids so I know what time commitment is all about. Keep playing bro, you wont regret it.

PG56
@Paul, it's not my son but his friend. I second your sentiments!

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Lavallee wrote:
I have 3 kids of my own and they learn faster than I. However I came to think that when I was their age I was learning pretty fast as well. Nowadays and for many years now I have other stuff in my mind and guitar is a hobby. For many kids it is a much larger portion because it gives them something to be proud of themselves and get social recognition. They talk about their playing with their friends, they learn in school or the evening practice, they have their Ipod in their ears all day listening to the music they play. This is the best way to learn a new language: focus.

I think that if you feel sorry, there migth be a hint of competition which I know for sure is not intended. When you raise your kids you are always an example for them, give advice,tell them what to do. Now they are getting better than you at something. It is a heck of a motivation for them. If they beat me at something, I do not seem to hear the end of it, but I am happy for them (but I tell them they do not beat me so they keep proving it ;) ). I hope they will be better than me on everything and become a better person than me. This is evolution.

Marc
@lavallee: it is not my son, tho I wish, it is his friend. Unfortunately my sons do not pursue music like I have urged.

ffsooo3

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:42 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
As I mentioned in another thread; my son's friend is a fantastic musician. He is self-taught, plays by ear, tunes by ear & doesn't even know theory; but just blew me away. You just know someone like that is born to play. Makes me wonder what's the point? I have to copy, pause, rewind - just to play 1 song remotely decent. It makes me feel, as the kids say today, like a poser!
Yes, I think we're all kidding ourselves and should just give up! I mean, what is the point in trying anyway? If you suck - you suck!

Only kidding. :silly: Actually, I agree with everything everyone has said on this thread. Why practice? Because it gives one a sense of purpose. It gives one a sense of accomplishment. It gives one a goal to attain. Wouldn't life be a bore, if everything was easy?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic