Guitarist beyond description

1ststeven

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 pm

There are a lot of great guitar players some who have already been mentioned, but my all time favorite is the late Jerry Garcia. I watched him in concert many times, both with the Dead and also the Jerry Garcia Band. Garcia didn't need to jump around on stage, dress stylishly or have special affects/props to get your attention. His dark colored t-shirts, jeans and unity with his guitar created a presence that kept DH's focused on him. Jerry's improvisional skills and ability to capture your senses with his distinctive guitar 'singing' caused me to first jump on board the bus in 1978. I continue to enjoy the musical ride though his music though Jerry - He's Gone.

stonercafe420

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 pm

best technically , Micheal hedges hands down. best writer Jimi page. best performer Jerry Garcia. all around gotta be Hendrix. favorite john Lennon.

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:23 am

I never considered Lennon as a great guitarist George harrison though is the one who was always very underated in my opinion. If I really had to pick the Best, i'd go with Eric Clapton, because he has survived, he can play many different genres and styles acousticaly and electric but again its a matter of taste really. Ive never really listened to Jerry Garcia so once I do I might then like him lol

pak452

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Acoustic for me has to be James taylor. Electric is SRV. That guy gives me goosebumps.

chris_25411

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 am

hendrix is best then srv then jimmy page then jeff beck, claptons down the list he was good but over rated

ffsooo3

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:33 pm

I'd have to say the overall best guitar player is Tommy Emmanuel. He does it all. Check out: or or

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:20 pm

chris_25411 wrote:
hendrix is best then srv then jimmy page then jeff beck, claptons down the list he was good but over rated
I know I will get a few bites with this but in my opinion whilst Hendrix was a great innovator and did things almost unheard of and should be credited with changing things he was a trailblazer for guitar as we maybe now know it and yes I often wonder what he would be doing if were alive today. However, I believe others have surpassed him technically and also with emotion in playing, I think SRV was easily equal, Jimmy Page also a trailblazer in some ways (violin bow)also playing through coke tinted lenses lol Clapton is different he is timeless changing genres and doing all very well and with emotion. Clapton gets my vote for hanging in there and having the ability to change over time.

But hey this is so subjective and depending on your personal taste it could be said that many guitarists deserve special mention, e.g. Neil Youngs acoustic playing is just amazing. John Williams classical style with SKY is brilliant. Tommy Emmanuelles adaptations (covers) of tunes out of this world at times, although I dislike his showman style he is good. Lindsay Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac outstanding, the list could easily go on. As I am sure it will right here lol

stonercafe420

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:59 pm

simply amazing. you bet i'll listen to more of him. check out micheal hedges.

Villaroy

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Santana
Hendrix
Mclaughlin
Green
Page

rcsnydley

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 pm

I think I've got to go with ffsooo's post. Tommy Emmanuel is phenomenal, be sure to check out his version of "House of the Rising Sun".

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic