Who Inspired You To Play

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

The guitarist that first inspired me was not one of the usual ones but a guy called Deke Leonard who played in a Welsh band called 'Man', he just had that real rock driving sound and trhe band's music was quite different for the time. You Tube them and see if you can find some of the old stuff they played you might be surprised. Deke would be in his 60's these days but still sounds good.

Kollas

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 am

That's a pretty open ended question for me since I like so many types of music.. On the jazz side, my favorite players are Larry Carlton and Craig Chaquico. I can't leave out George Benson and Joyce Cooling. On the harder side of things I'd have to pick Ted Nugent, Jimi Hendrix, and Eddie Van Halen.

aliimatt

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm

My Brother was my first inspiration - he was never really that good, but it sure looked like the cool thing to do. Later I had friends who could play and I wished I could. I like to listen to Leo Kottke, Adrian Legg, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Pass, etc. Their playing is so beyond what I have been able to do so far. I think I am more inspired by my eleven year old daughter's playing.

rcsnydley

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Chas - I grew up in the 60s so who do you think inspired me? Yeah, you guessed it, the Beatles. Of course there was all the prog rock bands of the early 70s, The Moody Blues, Yes , Floyd, Tull, but the Beatles had already hooked me by then.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:03 am

Ric,

Whilst he wasn't my inspiration, George Harrisons ability came to me later in life, much later really. My teen years were the 70's and quite a few of my friends didn't listen to all the Pop stuff being played regulalry but we listedned to Floyd, Tull Fairport Convention and the Eagles, Little Feat, Average White Band to name a few.

pak452

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:29 am

The person who originally inspired me to play was John Denver. Loved the picking style.
Then I discovered Neil Young. I put my guitar away for about 15 years, and recently found Neil Hogan on youtube. So I would have to say This second go round was Neil Hogan.

Dean O

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:35 am

Jimmy Page. Hands down Jimmy Page. Dozens of others would follow over time. But it all started with JP.

tabs

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:54 pm

The guitarist who made me want to play as a teenager was Keith Richards. I still love him and think his stuff from 1968 to 1972 was creative and powerful. As I've grown and focused on fingerstyle acoustic guitar my main inspirations are John Renbourn and Leo Kottke. Renbourn, in particular, I think is a genius. What Segovia did for transposing classical music for guitar Renbourn has done with Renaissance, pre-Renaissance, and early Celtic folk music.

jayswett

Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm

I would have to say Angus Young and Stevie Ray Vaughn ;)

fxgirl

Fri May 01, 2009 10:49 pm

The first ones to inspire me to play guitar were, The Beatle, followed by Ian Anderson and Martin Barre of Jethro Tull, and finally
Brain May of Queen.

Now there are a slew of guitarist that I appreciate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic