Who Inspired You To Play

Mauro

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey Neil are you planning on any John Denver???

AndyT

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:22 pm

Suddenly non sequitor! Whoa, I'm dizzy....

Hey Mauro,
Did you know there is a place in the forum where you can ask Neil for specific songs?

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Many players inspired me to give it a go. Neal Schon, Nils (not Nils lofgren), Steve Howe, Jackson Browne , John Denver, Earl Klugh, Paul Jackson Jr., Joe Walsh, Jimmy Page, many that I forget.

I do remember seeing a concert back in HS. It was a Mountain Air concert in Northern California. The line-up was Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, ZZ Top and Journey. Watching Neal Schon really stuck with me through the years. When he left Journey for a while and did a few solo albums and a few albums with different bands, I always gave them a listen and have always enjoyed his work (especially his solo album "Beyond the Thunder").

Also, I saw Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic and that left me pretty inspired (at least until I went home and tried to play as well as he did - lol).

I love hearing who inspired all of you, as it gives me even more of a reason to enjoy music of all types!

Cheers!

MJ

jimbog13

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:55 am

Jerry, Jorma, and Trey.

KennyF

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:31 am

This is the guy most responsible for my involvement in music at all.

rcsnydley

Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Hey jimbog do you mean Trey from Phish? If so, I actually played with him. I was in a band in Vermont in the 80s and early 90s. We played some shows with Phish were they opened up for us, yes that's right they opened for us. After we played both our bands jammed together, what a great time.

Keep Playing
Ric

jimbog13

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:07 am

yes, that would be the Trey. guess i shouldn't have been so vague and/or used last names

;-)

Garcia, Kaukonen and Anastasio.

cool story.

i'm curious, why are you on here? did you not keep playing through the years? i've certainly *wasted* my share of time.

rcsnydley

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:08 pm

jimbog - I played keyboards in that band and when I left the band I did "drop out" for a while, quite a while. I needed to make a living and I guess I was tired from touring.
I still have my keyboards, but about a year and a half ago I started playing my guitar again (my first love, after singing). I decided to learn how to play it right this time around. I still have my keyboards and use them when I am writing a new song, to help work out parts.
I have been trying to reconnect with the guys I played with before the reggae band. We played and wrote and recorded original material sort of in the soft/prog rock genre.
Playing with the reggae band gave me the opportunity to meet and play with a lot of big name reggae musicians and bands, including Ziggy Marley as we did some shows with him. We also recorded an album in the famous Channel One studios in Kingston, Jamaica, quite an experience.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Ric- I love reggae but know absolutely nothing about it as a music style. If you ever feel motivated I'd love to learn more about reggae. Maybe you could start a new thread somewhere and teach us a little about it.

Time signatures, tempos, chord, scales etc. I love Redemption Song, Buffalo Soldier, I Shot the Sheriff and many others I don't know the names of. The Wailers, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff and few others I'm familiar with. I know about the skank and the accent on the second and fourth beat but that's about it.

And am I correct that there are often very few chord changes in reggae, or at least it sounds that way to me?

Rick

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:55 pm

I heard from another instructor that Reggae has a reverse strum. Up and the beat and down on the ands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic