Who Inspired You To Play

tcon

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 pm

The obvious choice would be a talented guitar player, but for me, it was my friend John and my brother Randy. My friend took lessons, and I wanted to also. My brother got me a guitar and amp. I didn't see him much, and he had played drums in a band when in high school, and thought it would be fun for me to do the same. I never played in a band, but still play to this day.

If I had to pick an artist, I would say, initially it was Led Zeppelin, but began to lean towards Neil Young when I transitioned from electric to acoustic.

cabro

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:23 am

BigBear wrote:
eagle670 wrote:
That's my favorite song in my play list. Probably because I spent so much time trying to learn to play it the right way. I watched several youtube videos and found a couple of lessons on line. It wasn't until I found Neils lesson that I actually started playing it the right way. The cross picking at the beginning of the tune still gives me fits sometimes and I practice it about every day. Depending on the day, I can sometimes play it flawlessly and other days are not so good.
I just started working on that song too. It's got some quirks but that's what makes it so great. So far, page 1 of the tab is much easier for me than page 2!! LOL!

It takes extra long to train this old dog to do new tricks!! :lol:
I too have been working on this song again. I found a video of ELP with some really good camera work on Greg Lake and was working on this version, which is not the same as the studio recording. I also realized I had been playing only about half the song correctly and I hear you on the old, stiff fingers.

BigBear

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:46 am

cabro wrote:
I too have been working on this song again. I found a video of ELP with some really good camera work on Greg Lake and was working on this version, which is not the same as the studio recording. I also realized I had been playing only about half the song correctly and I hear you on the old, stiff fingers.
I just watched a YouTube video on From the Beginning (from 1997 I think) and Greg Lake plays the intro completey differently. But I like this version because as soon as you hit the first harmonic everyone knows what it is!!

slowhand

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Gosh, that's a big question!

In my case, I'd have to say Jerry Garcia, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman. Among others.

BRBbrb

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Nancy Wilson of Heart - seeing her play that intro to "Crazy On You" w/ that Adamas!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm

I saw the Beatles on Ed Sulivan when I was 8 yrs old. Ever since then I wanted to play. I started at 14 yr old. I had a freind who played and he got me into it. And besides...I wanted the girls in school loke me...lol;)

karl01

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm

There were three back when I was a teenager and first picked up the guitar.

1. Jimmy Page
2. Alex Lifson from Rush
3. Rik Emmett from Triumph.

Karl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic