Remember The Kingston trio

lksmile

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:36 pm

OK I'm the originator of the Kingston Trio group on this site. Cruze over there and see remembrances of one of the primo groups from the late 1950s to middle 1960s. At one time their record sales contributed 25% of Capitol records income. For tight three-part harmony and stellar finger picking and banjo (frailing and Scruggs-type 3 finger picking)playing few have ever equaled them in their prime. Most of their music is still available on CD or online. Check out "Bonnie Heilan' Laddie", "You're going to miss me", "Pastures of plenty", "Chilly winds", "Ann", "Fast freight", and "The first time" for some great acoustic guitar and banjo playing. It would be great for Neil to take on some of these classics...

mwilsonsc

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:30 pm

I agree - I enjoy the Kingston Trio too.

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Remember...

haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Great group! They surely influenced many groups to follow. Nice clip too.

Bill

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:25 pm

lksmile wrote:
OK I'm the originator of the Kingston Trio group on this site. Cruze over there and see remembrances of one of the primo groups from the late 1950s to middle 1960s. At one time their record sales contributed 25% of Capitol records income. For tight three-part harmony and stellar finger picking and banjo (frailing and Scruggs-type 3 finger picking)playing few have ever equaled them in their prime. Most of their music is still available on CD or online. Check out "Bonnie Heilan' Laddie", "You're going to miss me", "Pastures of plenty", "Chilly winds", "Ann", "Fast freight", and "The first time" for some great acoustic guitar and banjo playing. It would be great for Neil to take on some of these classics...

Hey, great first post! Welcome to the party, I mean TARGET program. Since we know you like the Kingston Trio, you obviuosly fit in with us old-timers!! Could you go over to the Please Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little more about yourself? Where you live, where you are on your musical journey, that kind of thing? We've all done it.

The Trio was truly a folk super group before there was such a thing. Maybe the Weavers were the first but the Trio was right in there and achieved commerical success far greater than any folk band prior to that. I think Bob Shane is the last surviving original member isn't he? And he hasn't been with them for awhile since he had heart trouble.

Anyway. glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy this site as much as we do!!

Cheers!! :cheer:

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 am

My personal fav by them is Tom Dooley.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic