Keola Beamer

jim56

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I forgot to mention Keola Beamer from Hawaii, plays slack-key guitar.

BigBear

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

jim56 wrote:
I forgot to mention Keola Beamer from Hawaii, plays slack-key guitar.
Jim- In a previous thread I asked Neil about doing some slack key lessons. Neil is friends with Keola and thought it was a great idea. Either have Keola do the lesson or Neil will do it so keep your fingers crossed!

AndyT

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Jim,
Do you know Keola and Neil are friends?

jim56

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:45 pm

I do now. Read an article today on slack-key and did a Google search and found his web site. He teaches online and is a good singer too. ;-)

agentcooper

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Keola Beamer is one of the most fantastic performers I've ever been lucky enough to see. He has so much personality and warmth on stage, as if it didn't phase him that he were in front of an audience. I saw him at the Kumbwa (sp?) in Santa Cruz recently, and I was blown away by not only his flawless while relaxed playing, his amazing voice, but also how cool his guitars were. I'm sure they were all custom built, and I can't remember much, but I definitely got a Hawaiian Django vibe, as far as the construction went.

Kudos Jim, for giving Keola some notoriety, since slack-key guitar falls quite short of the pop radio charts B)

-Dale

AndyT

Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 pm

I hear slack key on the radio here all the time. LOL

Keola is really good, I must agree with that. If I lives on the big island, I'd look to hang with him. As it is, I'm friends with local celeb slack key and uke players here on Oahu.

Anyone ever hear of Shon Kihewa? Sam Kapu? Moki boy?

BigBear

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 am

AndyT wrote:
I think we have a sushi restaurant here in Portland by that name!! :lol:

AndyT

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:16 am

Sushi. tsk, tsk, tsk. *shaking my head at Bear*

LOL

agentcooper

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

AndyT wrote:
I hear slack key on the radio here all the time. LOL

Keola is really good, I must agree with that. If I lives on the big island, I'd look to hang with him. As it is, I'm friends with local celeb slack key and uke players here on Oahu.

I'm sure you hear slack key on the radio if you live in Hawaii, but for us on the main land, the closest thing we've got is Jake Shimabukuro, and even then, most people don't know who he is, except my musician friends, trying to one-up another with their esoteric tastes in solo musicians. For those of ya'll that haven't heard this kid, he's a trip. To quote my younger friends "Dude, he's like Van Halen on the uke!".

I decided that this would be more appropriate. I love it so much. Whatchu think Neil?

-Dale

BigBear

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:08 pm

agentcooper wrote:
For those of ya'll that haven't heard this kid, he's a trip. To quote my younger friends "Dude, he's like Van Halen on the uke!".
I'm speechless. That kid is the most amazing musician (except for Neil of course :lol: ) I have seen in a very long time. He doesn't roll into those long stretch chords he simply hammers them! He did full length slides and never batted an eye! WOW!

Thanks for sharing that- I'm really blown away!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic