How about a cover that's BETTER than the original!

leeb

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:08 pm

My Vote would be for Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower".. He really nailed it and took it to a whole ohter level IMHO.
A song I wish famous artists and locals at open mics would put a moritorium on is "Knocking on Heaven's Door" enough already... It was the first song I ever learned but absolutely refuse to play. Unlike many Dylan songs, it only has 3 to 4 lines of lyrics.

wiley

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:26 pm

wiley

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 pm

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:19 am

Good call on the 'Bleeding Love' song. Not a huge fan of the original- but this was a good version.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 am

Wiley, that's just great! That guy can sing!

reiver

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Okay - let me lay my cards on the table......[deep breath]..I'm not much of a Led Zeppelin fan. There - I've said it.

Now that I've got that off my chest let me just say that this may not be better than the original - but it's MUCH better than the live version by Led Zep that I've just watched on YT.

So, here are Ann and Nancy kickin' up a hoolie. What's not to like.

r

suziko

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I remember seeing them do this! It's from some Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show, I think. I loved their cover and (secretly) agree that it might be even better than the original!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Must admit Reiver, I'm not too much of a Zeppelin fan either but this is my favourite and the ladies do a fantastic job on that. Thanks for posting!
By the by, one of our squashers here, Desmond, a drummer, reckons he was in the room (pub) when Led Zeppelin got their name. He tells the story that Keith Moon (Des' mate) was there when Jimmy Page suggested the name they wanted to use (can't remember what it was... but I'll ask) and Moon said," Na, that'll go down like a Lead Ballon!". He swears it's true. Who am I to say it's not!

Max

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:55 pm

reiver wrote:

Love the saying "kickin' up a hoolie".

I'm taking flying lessons, and my flight instructor once said to me "I don't think we should fly today. It's blowing a hoolie out there".
My instructor is from England, is that where you got it from?

reiver

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Max wrote:
reiver wrote:

Love the saying "kickin' up a hoolie".

I'm taking flying lessons, and my flight instructor once said to me "I don't think we should fly today. It's blowing a hoolie out there".
My instructor is from England, is that where you got it from?

Max

I think that the expression is from Irish or Scots Gaelic. As a Scot, I tend to use these phrases as often as possible to confuse and frustrate my English wife! It's as good a reason as any for keeping the expressions alive, I think. ;)

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic