How about a cover that's BETTER than the original!

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:30 am

reiver wrote:
Max wrote:
reiver wrote:
So, here are Ann and Nancy kickin' up a hoolie. What's not to like.

Love the saying "kickin' up a hoolie".

Max

I think that the expression is from Irish or Scots Gaelic. As a Scot, I tend to use these phrases as often as possible to confuse and frustrate my English wife! It's as good a reason as any for keeping the expressions alive, I think. ;)

r
Its an Irish saying also adopted by the Scots, originaly it was a Protestant wake Also incorrectly used as an abbreviation for Hooligan.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 am

Chas, where were you when Clinton needed the word IS defined... (remember that at the Lewisky hooli?)

pigpenz

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:14 pm

leeb wrote:
My Vote would be for Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower".. He really nailed it and took it to a whole ohter level IMHO.
A song I wish famous artists and locals at open mics would put a moritorium on is "Knocking on Heaven's Door" enough already... It was the first song I ever learned but absolutely refuse to play. Unlike many Dylan songs, it only has 3 to 4 lines of lyrics.
How about Black Magic Woman by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac...Carlos Santannas version really did up it a notch.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:37 pm

pigpenz wrote:
leeb wrote:
My Vote would be for Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower".. He really nailed it and took it to a whole ohter level IMHO.
A song I wish famous artists and locals at open mics would put a moritorium on is "Knocking on Heaven's Door" enough already... It was the first song I ever learned but absolutely refuse to play. Unlike many Dylan songs, it only has 3 to 4 lines of lyrics.
How about Black Magic Woman by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac...Carlos Santannas version really did up it a notch.
This is a question of personal choice and preferences Greeny's original is British blues and Santanas is Latin Blues (if such a genre exists, suppose it must cos its done). I love both but they are different genres. Now that is something not fully discussed how about covers that transcend genres...

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Tough to beat Roxy Music- but Gwen Stefani/No Doubt nailed 'It's My Life'.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:23 pm

reiver wrote:
Okay - let me lay my cards on the table......[deep breath]..I'm not much of a Led Zeppelin fan. There - I've said it.

Now that I've got that off my chest let me just say that this may not be better than the original - but it's MUCH better than the live version by Led Zep that I've just watched on YT.

So, here are Ann and Nancy kickin' up a hoolie. What's not to like.

r

Hi Reiver, I have always been a big fan of Led Zep (working on many of their songs). I like their music on record (or CD's nowadays). I have their DVD of live shows: I only watched it once. Their records are great because Page and Jones were adding tracks to the songs that gave that extra finess that they cannot reproduce in shows. The live shows turn out to be Plant singing more than he can and Page that ends up in endless leads. Mind you I never was a big fan of live shows of rock bands(prefer the accoustic ones), so I migth be bias.

Really like the Wilsons sisters video that you posted, always like that song and Nancy as a guitarist. Interestingly enough, they worked with John Paul Jones later on.

Marc

haoli25

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Do you guys know FretKiller on Youtube? Just pick one! But I'm gonna pick this one. Hands down, better than James Taylors Frozen Man

[video][/video]

tovo

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 pm

wilson951 wrote:
Do you guys know FretKiller on Youtube? Just pick one! But I'm gonna pick this one. Hands down, better than James Taylors Frozen Man
No doubt FretKiller is good mate, but I'll take this version anyday. (Hey it's all personal preference right?)

AndyT

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 am

I saw that version shortly after I saw Fret Killers vid when it was new. And I can't remember laughing harder than when when JT said "I identified with him". But for me, a uniquely creative solo acoustic version is just about always better than an accompanied song. It's definitely subjective. But FretKiller is great, and my hat is OFF to anyone even close to JT's brilliance with a song.

Still chuckling about "identifying with him" LOL

suziko

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:16 am

Al- I agree; it's hard to beat Roxy Music, but the No Doubt version is pretty good. Plus, you get Gwen Stefani, which is never a bad thing!

At the risk of riling up some of the hard core Neil Young fans, I have to admit that I like this version of Only Love Will Break Your Heart better than the original. In fact, it's the version I knew before I heard the NY version:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic