Doc Watson

ramjet449

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:31 pm

I don't know about his being the best but he's one of my favorites. He helped develop bluegrass-style flatpicking into a fine art, and was an excellent if idiosyncratic figerpicker too. His speed and tone are amazing, and he's 86 years old and still playing shows.

This site isn't really geared toward his style of music but it would be great if Neal touched on it sometime. (HINT, HINT) To me, Doc is like a hillbilly Jimi Hendrix.

AndyT

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree. Doc is a flat out flatpickin kinda guy.

BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:04 am

ramjet449 wrote:
I don't know about his being the best but he's one of my favorites. He helped develop bluegrass-style flatpicking into a fine art, and was an excellent if idiosyncratic figerpicker too. His speed and tone are amazing, and he's 86 years old and still playing shows.

This site isn't really geared toward his style of music but it would be great if Neal touched on it sometime. (HINT, HINT) To me, Doc is like a hillbilly Jimi Hendrix.

Doc is one of the masters of bluegrass and country flatpicking!! I'd love to learn more about his crosspicking techniques. I believe learning to crosspick can help every guitarist be better regardless of style!

And you are right on about Doc being amazing. Did you know he lost his vision when he was a little kid? :cheer:

ramjet449

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:03 am

I know Bear, he went blind before he was one year old. I'm struggling to learn to play being able to see what I'm doing, and he did it sightless.

I agree about crosspicking being helpful too, I have learned a few simple arrangements. It is extremely challenging for a beginner/intermediate player like myself, but has definitely helped my timing and pick control.

Something about Doc's right hand technique I find interesting, instead of posting he lets his right hand "float" over the strings with his pinkie or pinkie and ring fingers gliding lightly on the pickguard to maintain consistent pick height. I haven't found a way to post which feels comfortable, so I tried Doc's floating technique and find it works pretty well for me.

FlatPick

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 am

Just my two cents, I think he is a great picker.

ericdmyers

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Before Doc, acoustic guitar was strummed with an occasional run ala Lester Flatt. Tony Rice says, "One day there was nothing like Doc Watson, and suddenly there was." Clarence White was developing his flatpicking style at the same time. These two guys changed everything on the acoustic, and Clarence went on to develop a whole new style of electric playing too. Monster, both.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic