Prog Rock Essential Listening

Lavallee

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 am

Shawn Phillips is an interesting character. He was interviewed by the local Rock station in Montreal and he was saying that he was a session musician (most of the time replacing somebody who could not attend a practice, or or add a guitar to a recording) with many of the great artist of the 60-70. He played with the Yardbirds, the beatles, Al Stewart, Davey Graham, etc... He is mainly known for his voice and his ballads.

He was doing something different when visiting some cities. He was working as a medic part time in the ambulance. He said sometimes the patient would recognize him and get a good boost (not too much I hope though).

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 am

I guess this applies only to Quebecois: Imagine loosing conciousness, and on opening your eyes you saw ... Shawn Phillips!

I guess you may then think ... I AM DEAD ... WHAT THE F*** IS Shawn Phillips doing here!?

cosmicmechanic

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Additional details about Shawn Phillips (see earlier post and video):

In his prime Shawn Phillips had a 12 octave vocal range, so even now, his voice is quite impressive.

His name has been a household word here in Quebec since the '70s, and he not as well known in the US, even though he was born in Texas. He also has a good following in South Africa.

Has anyone in this forum heard of him?

rcsnydley

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:49 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Additional details about Shawn Phillips (see earlier post and video):

In his prime Shawn Phillips had a 12 octave vocal range, so even now, his voice is quite impressive.

His name has been a household word here in Quebec since the '70s, and he not as well known in the US, even though he was born in Texas. He also has a good following in South Africa.

Has anyone in this forum heard of him?
I saw Shawn in concert in Burlington, VT in the 80s. Great show.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic