Prog Rock Essential Listening

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Here is the title cut off of Captain Beyond's second album, Sufficiently Breathless that came out in 1973. A great guitar song.

Ric

Lavallee

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 pm

This is great Ric , I never heard of them, that song was certainly of its time and still is. I am going to get that CD tomorrow.

I love that people post their musical preference since there is so much available and so little time to look so this cuts the corners and allow everybody to make discoveries. MJ had recommended Neil Schon, I bougtht it and really enjoy it. Keep posting them.

Marc

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:41 am

pigpenz wrote:
Keith Emerson and the Nice
Brain Davison Group was drummer for the Nice
Tontos Expanding Headband
GroundHogs
Ammon Dull
The Nice is a great band.....:laugh:

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:44 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Great music Marc, thanks.

I love your list Neil, I will have to explore it further.

Now to add one of my own, it feature the former bass player from Iron Butterfly. The band is called Captain Beyond and they only put out three albums, but they were great albums.

Ric
Ric: I have all three of those albums, and enjoy them as well!

Captain Beyond (1972)
Sufficiently Breathless (1973)
Dawn Explosion (1977)

:laugh:

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:46 am

Lavallee wrote:
This is great Ric , I never heard of them, that song was certainly of its time and still is. I am going to get that CD tomorrow.

I love that people post their musical preference since there is so much available and so little time to look so this cuts the corners and allow everybody to make discoveries. MJ had recommended Neil Schon, I bougtht it and really enjoy it. Keep posting them.

Marc
Marc:

Wow, you bought Neal's CD. I really enjoy his music. Also, like I mentioned earlier to you, Nils has some good albums as well.

MJ

:laugh:

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello All,

Here is a nice Gentle Giant performance for a TV show (no lipsync).

We're talking "progressive" music here, their sound was in an odd key, but:

This was such a TIGHT band ... the drummer is a riot :)

I go back and watch this fairly regularly ... it is TIGHT !

Lavallee

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Gentle Giant was certainly unconventional. This is the only album I had from them (The Power and Glory).

Marc

AndyT

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Wow. that sounds like me practicing today. I had no idea I was that good. LMBO!
A bit too out there for my taste.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Who has heard of SHAWN PHILLIPS ? If not, please look him up!

I offer this as a hint of this man's genius ... a real guitar musician and composer.

He was born in Texas, but did not have much success in the US, as far as I know.

His MAJOR album (in the '70s') was "Second Contribution": A WORK OF GENIUS,

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Great example of their incredible musicianship. I would guess info about these guys is not common knowledge here at TG but they the 5 of them would show up for concerts with around 30 instruments. The bass player, Ray Shulman also played trumpet, violin, and of course guitar, all at the virtuoso level. The keyboard player, Kerry Minnear was a great cellist as well as classically trained piano player and composer. They had songs that morphed into 4-part xylophone pieces with drums, as well as 5-part percussion pieces.

Probably the only band that could even be mentioned in the same breath with them was Yes, and they are still far from the diversity that Gentle Giant had complete mastery of.

Unfortunately, they got side-tracked in the late 70s as did all great early progressive bands, and made 2 more albums than they should have before hanging it up. Everything through Free Hand is spectacular, the next 2 are fair but weak (Interview & The Missing Piece), and forget the last 2. Still an amazing body of work in the 1st half of the 70s.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic