Prog Rock Essential Listening

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Neil wrote:
Since this just came up on the Off Topic Forum, I figured I might weigh in with some Essential Listening for the Progressive Rock fans out there. The roots were in the late 60s but I will start with the Big 5, in alphabetical order so as not to create any preconceived biases-

Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Genesis
Gentle Giant
King Crimson
Yes

Most of these changed direction by the late 70s (Stayin' Alive!) but this is a good start. More on some of my favorite less known bands soon.

Neil
Neil: Thanks for the list. I have albums by most of them as well. I have to ay that Gentle Giant is among my favorites. Also, Camel, Caravan, Focus and Happy the Man. The few that I don't have, I'll check out this weekend for sure. I really appreciate you responding to the off-topic thread. I thought my eyes were big.....lol, you don't miss much do you. :P

BigBear

Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Lavallee wrote:
I also like Alan Parsons Project (who was the sound engineer on Dark Side of the moon)who started later than the other ones. Antoher one who is rarelly mentioned is Steve Windwood. He is not progressive rock but certainly interesting

Yes, absolutely Alan Parsons. I mentioned Steve Winwood under Traffic. They had some great stuff.

A couple others that bear mentioning: Asia and Rick Wakeman (both Yes and ELP spinoffs)

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Neil wrote:
Gentle Giant- the most incredible of them all! But here are some of the others who have albums I really like-

Alquin
Anglagard (90s)
Bacamarte
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Camel
Caravan
The Flower Kings (90s)
Focus
Glass Hammer
Happy The Man
Harmonium
Hatfield & The North
Isildur's Bane (90s)
Kaipi
Kayak
Le Orme
Mike Oldfield
Osanna
PFM
Quidam (90s)
Renaissance (Probably the best of all!)
Simon Says (90s)
Spock's Beard (90s)
Supersister
The Tangent (90s)
Tempano
Transatlantic

Enough for now, but these are all artists I admire for one reason or another.

Neil

P.S. I am, of course omitting some great progressive bands that can almost be considered mainstream now-

Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
Traffic
and a few others.
Neil:

I got a chance to check out a big part of this list. Wow! Some great tunes in there. I really enjoyed Renaissance, Supersister, Osanna, Isildurs Bane, Glass Hammer and Alquin. I am currently looking for a few of the others, I'm sure there will be some good ones again...

Thanks for sharing!

MJ

B)

Lavallee

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Neil,

you know Harmonium? You must be the only person in the US who have something on them. They were very popular in the 70's in Quebec which is where the majority of french speaking live (about 5 millions). They were actually the most influential group in Quebec and whoever played guitar would know all their songs. They had amazing accoustic guitar pieces, some kind of jazzy folks. They were our CSN Do you recall which record you have?

This is Vert (green) from their second album. Enjoy

BigBear

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Neil,

you know Harmonium? You must be the only person in the US who have something on them. They were very popular in the 70's in Quebec which is where the majority of french speaking live (about 5 millions). They were actually the most influential group in Quebec and whoever played guitar would know all their songs. They had amazing accoustic guitar pieces, some kind of jazzy folks. They were our CSN Do you recall which record you have?

This is Vert (green) from their second album. Enjoy

Marc- really excellent band! I loved this song and found it hard to label. Almost New Age progressive? I did have a tough time with the lyrics! I couldn't tell if he was singing about the guy's best friend ran off with his wife or his dog ate his new cowboy boots! lol! :lol: But the music is certainly beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing! I learned something today. Cheers! :cheer:

pigpenz

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Keith Emerson and the Nice
Brain Davison Group was drummer for the Nice
Tontos Expanding Headband
GroundHogs
Ammon Dull

Lavallee

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Big Bear, you almost had the lyrics right: It is the guy`s best friend who leaves with the dog's boots.;)

They were great: thy were an island of difference in a sea of the 70' s rock.

Thanks for listening

Marc

wrsomers

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Neil,

Hi Marc,

Definitely a band I was impressed with, although it wasn't until my second ProgRock incarnation, which restarted about 6 years ago, that I discovered Harmonium. I have 3 albums-

Si On Avait Besoin D`une Cinquieme Saison
L`Heptade
En Tournee

I am more impressed every time I get a chance to listen to them. Thanks for posting that beautiful song!

Neil

Lavallee

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Their first album was called Harmonium. Here is this nice ragtime song thay had on it called Dixi

Marc

rcsnydley

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Great music Marc, thanks.

I love your list Neil, I will have to explore it further.

Now to add one of my own, it feature the former bass player from Iron Butterfly. The band is called Captain Beyond and they only put out three albums, but they were great albums.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic