Are we kidding ourselves?

TGMatt

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 pm

I will Never be Tiger Woods - But I will always love to play Golf

I will never Be an F1 driver but through Marc Weber and my love of fast cars I continue to dream

I will never be as great in Business as my hero Richard Branson , but I will alsways be starting new busineses and looking for new opportunities

I will never be as great a romantic as Valentino , But I will always love women

I will never be an Angel - But I get up each mroning trying my best to become more to become better..

I walked into Neils never having played anything at all musical, and a year later we created this site...

Never ever ever ever measure yourself against others as your only guide...your primary compass is yourself and the primary question is "am I getting better than I was yesterday"....inch by inch its a cinch.........

AndyT

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:32 pm

If you improve yourself only by a half percent a day, then at the end of a year you will be a bit more than twice a good as you are now.

I am a horrible guitar player, but I play because I want to. Who cares if I never get to be as good as the kid down the street. That's not the point.

mark

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 am

It came as a great disappointment to me when I realised that I have absolutely no music talent and an even greater disappointment when I realised that even with thousands of hours of practice I am never going to play like Eric Clapton.

For me, guitar playing is almost like a vicious cirlce
one day I feel like I'm getting somewhere
the next day it's going really well and I think soon I'm going to be really good
the next day I can hardly play a note and I should give up
a couple of hours later I pick up the guitar and give it another go

Slowly over time I can see that in general I'm getting better but I still go through this vicious cirlce.

It's impossible to do, but try not to compare yourself to anyone and just enjoy playing for what you can do.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:35 am

I'm not kidding myself I set myself exceptionally low standards and constantly fail to achieve them lol

Like a few of us I guess I dream of one day being the next eric Clapton, I know that will never happen but its a goal in my dreams, its part of what we call inspiration. I maybe know quite a bit about guitars but it doesn't mean I am a good player, I do know that since using TG the playing has improved and I have a few things to start over and relearn. I know what is good when I see it I know what is good when I hear it, I know errors or technique issues when i see them, mainly through stuf i've learnt here. So I have come a long way and also know I have a way to go. Some songs I kid myself about but it doesn't stop me trying them, recently attempting Fire and Rain (I admit I had never listend to this song until a thread was put up) I started a day ago and it was terrible and just tonight I got most of the intro down and the timing was about right, a few weeks ago that wasn't going to happen. So small steps mostly forward with the realisation that sometimes you go back a little and that does not harm you.

Kidding yourself depends on where you want to be so you need to set SMART goals

S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Relevant
T = Time - bound/frame

or if thats too hard set DUMB goals

D = Doable
U = Understandable
M = Manageable
B = Beneficial

willem

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 am

BRBbrb wrote:
willem wrote:
BRBbrb wrote:
As I mentioned in another thread; my son's friend is a fantastic musician. He is self-taught, plays by ear, tunes by ear & doesn't even know theory; but just blew me away. You just know someone like that is born to play. Makes me wonder what's the point? I have to copy, pause, rewind - just to play 1 song remotely decent. It makes me feel, as the kids say today, like a poser!
when you all day and day's are busy with the music or something there is a develop in yourself and you gonna be self-thaugt... on one day your ear that G chord playing...or other...
Willem; you are saying that with time we can all be self-taught?
i have a big ????? with self-thaught,there's alway something they must read or heard from somebody and with some nowledge they go further, we do the same and can also write a solo lick or something..

suziko

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 am

Wow, I think I might print out Matt's post and stick it on my wall! Awesome.

willem

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 am

BRBbrb wrote:
True; better than the finger!
so true Image

1robekert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:06 am

Chin up Barb,
I am in the same boat. My kids make fun of my Cowboy Chord (3 Chord) playing. They say "Dad........we are sick of hearing the same 3 chords. They are exaggerating but I guess it makes them feel superior in some way to me. I explain to them that society is very goal oriented. You have to be at the top of any game or activity. I prefer to look to the example of Special Olympics. Participating is the prize. I have a severely disabled son. Going through his day is an effort. This brings me to my favorite saying "Life is relative". If I compare myself to the best of anything I will always fall short. I am able to get up each day........someone must have a plan for me.

I am the most unlikely guitar player. I did not do well with any instrument as a youth. Now at 46 I have decided to attempt to learn to play one of the most difficult instruments. My hands are beaten up from 25 years as a laborer. The tip of my index finger on my left hand, my fret hand, was cut off. When I attempted a D Chord I saw stars for the first few months. (It is not as bad now. The body adapts). So with all of this why would I try to do this...................because I love it. Sometimes things don't need to make sense. I am getting better but very, very, very slowly. I am Neil's perfect student.......motivated and getting better at a slow pace. He probably has a student for life :blush:
Rob

BRBbrb

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:10 am

A BIG THANKS! Like I said just having a "pity party"; like when I try to sing a Stevie Nick's song :ohmy: I do look at my guitar as my bff; & when I see someone else pick her up & do things w/ her that I can't -- well, the green-eyed monster appears :unsure:

Willem; got one of those in your arsenal?

AcousticAl

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 am

suziko wrote:
Wow, I think I might print out Matt's post and stick it on my wall! Awesome.
Except the 'Valentino' part?
(not that there's anything wrong with that..)

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic