Classical Gas

michelew

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 pm

There are some great versions out there. But, I also think that the original version is brilliant and the sweetest. Here is a video that pretty much just has the audio track on it. There is also video with Mason playing it, but the sound from backing group is so heavy that you can't hear Mason properly.

wadestar

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:26 pm

michelew

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Boys!!!? Wadestar get your epochs right - surely that would be Jurassic Gas - the Classical period was much later. :P :silly: ;)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm

That TE video is just 7 shades of amazing! Over seven minutes of improvisation on CG and (I really listened carefully) not one bum note! WOW!

dennisg

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm

tovo wrote:
dennisg wrote:
I gotta disagree with you on this one, Tony. For me, there's nothing so sacred about the original Classical Gas (or any other song) that a guitarist can't have fun with it. He's not doing a parody of it or demeaning it. He's just having fun. But beneath all his embellishments, there's still that incredible Classical Gas melody, and Tommy plays every note of it.

- Dennis
I never said I think it's sacred Dennis, and never said he can't have fun with it...that is closer to what Chas said. I simply said I don't like it.
And so you did. Please excuse me, Tony. I got my Southern Hemispherians mixed up.

- Dennis

tovo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 pm

No worries Dennis. As a writer you understand the horror of being misquoted! ;)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah, would you Southern Hemispherians please sort yourselves out! :woohoo:

tovo

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Well I'm confident I have it together but I'm concerned about that fella from over the ditch.

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:20 pm

I haven't heard/seen a lot of TE. I am floored by his command of the guitar. But I have to agree with Tony though. Let me try to explain why (before I get kicked out of TG). :dry:

I did eventually hear Classical Gas in his version. But not knowing where he was in it, or when he'd come back to it was frustrating for me.

I'll compare it to something else that bugs me. Singers (DIVAS) who you know can sing. REALLY SING. And they do a classic song- and they add tons of embellishment, and sing around the notes so much that you lose the song almost entirely. I'm sure you can think of quite a few artists who do this often. That's what he reminded me of.

Don't get me wrong- I know I am only in the larvae-stage of my guitar life. And far be it for me to criticize someone like him. Although I guess I just did.

Anyways, I think you can appreciate someone's obvious mastery of an instrument without necessarily liking what they play. Does that make sense to anyone?

Do I have any friends left?

(a canadian ruffling feathers??)

AndyT

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Al, You are correct. There are times to 'play' with a song and just have your way with it, then there are times to just give us a nice clean version of it.

Tommy E is so incredibly good that I think it might be impossible for him to issue a 'straight' version of something but I'm sure he can deliver a clean version of it with no trouble.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic